GO!

LITTER KWITTER ADVICE??

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

FOREST

PET ME PLEASE =)

Purred: Sun Mar 7, '10 7:27am PST 
Hi,

This is for anyone who has used litter kwitter or have trained thier cats to use the toillette.
I keep on comming to an impass when I arrive at step 2 or the amber stage. My boys will pee but they refuse to poop on this stage. I keep waking up or comming home to poop on the floor right beside the toilette. What could I do? does any one hav any suggestion?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you =)
[notify]

FOREST

PET ME PLEASE =)

Purred: Wed Mar 24, '10 7:35am PST 
Hi Sorry but I have to bump this I'm desprate for any advice.

Two of my cats were using the litter kwitter fine for about a week where they whent poop and pee in the toilette and now they have ALL regressed back to the begining.

PLEASE HELP any Ideas would be welcome.

Thank you=)
[notify]

♥- Suey- ♥

Loved

Purred: Wed Mar 24, '10 8:51pm PST 
Hi Forest,

I'm not a lot of help as I gave up on the Litter Kwitter. Both Fui and Suey would use it well on the red stage, but Fui would refuse when it got to the amber stage. I also spent a lot of time cleaning poo and wee off the floor from next to the toilet. Lishy joined the family about 3 weeks into the amber stage, and needed a litterbox. As soon as one was available, Fui and Suey both abandoned the Litter Kwitter.

I did try moving some of the poo into the amber disc, which did have some impact on Fui. He was more likely to use it properly if there was a bit of his poo in there already.

Good luck!
[notify]

FOREST

PET ME PLEASE =)

Purred: Mon Mar 29, '10 10:02am PST 
Hi Seuy,

Thanks for response. I'm having the same issure with POO and PEE beside the toilette. I'm not minding too much since I can clean it realativley easily. And I'm trying that POO in the tray trick. I was having some success but something happend and they tottally regressed. I'm going to try to stick it out and see if I can get this thing to work.

I'm trying this for Financial reasons I would rather eliminate the cost of Litter than reduce the quality of food.

Thank you again for your advice.

I'll let you know if it works
[notify]

Jasper

if no one sees- you on the- table....

Purred: Mon Mar 29, '10 12:10pm PST 
We used the litter kwitter, and are finally tray free. It took quite a while for us... about 4.5 months. We found whenever they had an accident or confusion, we were pushing them too fast.

We bought the interim trays which helped each transition a lot. You can get them at Amazon.com - http://www.amazon.com/Litter-Kwitter-Toilet-Training-Multi/dp/B002FZ FJRC/ref=pd_sim_k_1

We also did a lot of treats - both after using it and just getting them to jump up and position their feet right.

You may want to check the Litter Kwitter forums. http://www.litterkwitter.com.au/forums/index.php

Good luck! It does take patience, thats for sure. kitty
[notify]

Jasper

if no one sees- you on the- table....

Purred: Mon Mar 29, '10 12:12pm PST 
oh - one more thing - we ended up securing the tray- since it doesn't perfectly fit toilets, it gets a tad wobbly sometimes. we just made 2 small slits in the white rim and threaded some webbing through it and attached behind the toilet. tray is super steady now.
[notify]

FOREST

PET ME PLEASE =)

Purred: Wed Mar 31, '10 7:58am PST 
Hi Jasper,

Thank you for the encouragement and advice I will look into the interum trays. I'm borrowing the system so I can't quite add the webbing support but that is a good Idea too cause I found that it was sometimes wobbaly too. I did look at the LITTERKITTER site and found that there were either no Ideas for my situation or terribly unhigenic suggestions. I found more complaining than anything.

I'm starting to have some success again one of my cats used it for # 1 & 2 yesterday 2 times. SO hopefully they will start to make better improvements. They have only been using it for about 2 months now. So I still have about another 2.5 to go if your experiance is any indiction.

Thank you =)
[notify]

Purred: Tue Oct 15, '13 7:15pm PST 
How did it turn out for you? I'm having the same problem! 2 cats going perfectly in amber. 1 pees in it, but poops on the floor next to it or now on our carpet where the litter box used to be.
[notify]

Purred: Wed Oct 23, '13 12:59pm PST 
Hello - I am on the amber stage now and think I have it figured out. Here are my tips thus far:

1 - always make changes after a poo, because peeing is much easier for them. I do this at the beginning of the weekend when I know I'm going to be home a bit more for monitoring and encouragement.

2 - if they start getting anxious around potty time, or aren't going when or where they should be, this means you need to move slower. I highly recommend the cardboard method - cut out a piece of cardboard the size of the red disk, so that it can be placed underneath the amber or green. Then, start with a small hole in the center, and slowly increase the size of this hole (i.e. after several days). Be sure to use a round shape, because it holds weight better and is less likely to collapse under your kitty.

3 - don't go too fast! Remember: You aren't *training* your cat, you are modifying his or her habits. This is a slow process! Allow them to get used to each step before progressing. Just because they performed well for a few days does not mean they are comfortable with it.

4 - after your hole has gotten a bit bigger (over the course of a few weeks), start doing a daytime/nighttime switch. Use only amber during the day, and then add the cardboard at night. We try to encourage our kitty to go before adding the cardboard underneath at night. This method allows them to practice going #1, which is easier because their stance is much more stable, but isn't forcing them to make a big change all at once. After just a few days of this, our kitty was ok doing all her business in the amber ring, though we will continue to put the cardboard down at night for another week. Then we plan to leave it at amber for a month before we start with the green (same way - cardboard underneath and then daytime-only).

I hope that helps - I've spent some time on the LK forum, but it is a black hole of poor internet code and slow pages, so I'm happy to see some questions pop up elsewhere!
[notify]

Purred: Thu Jul 31, '14 10:55am PST 
Not a lot of activity on this topic, but the last post Oct 23, 2013 is helpful. Thank you for the cardboard suggestion. my cat is does not seem to have a regular elimination pattern, which makes things challenging. Just not ready to give up. As a warning to anyone thinking about taking on the litterkwitter, be forewarned....this is not a quick and simple process. It is a messy pain in the xxx.
[notify]