GO!

how to stop new ktten from bothering my older cat

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Lou

Purred: Tue Jan 12, '10 12:05pm PST 
I have a 3 year old Himilayian he is very laid back and does not like to be bothered I recently found a kitten who is about 5 months old this kitten does not leave the older cat alone even though the older hisses at him and makes it known that he does not like that he attacks him when he is sleeping or just walking around the house I feel bad for my older cat due to he continues to hide all the time from the kitten, how do I stop the kitten from bothering him, I continue to have to lock the kitten in another room so my older cat can relax, but it is hard to hear the kitten cry because he wants to come out of the room do you have any suggestions for my problem please help.....
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Tue Jan 12, '10 3:01pm PST 
How long have you had the new kitten? big grin
[notify]

Miss Tiny- Burr Burr

Love and adore.

Purred: Tue Jan 12, '10 6:16pm PST 
im guessing this is a male kitten?

the bad news is, there isnt much you can do. at this age, most male kittens are horrible and annoying. obviously you can neuter them but most still like to aggervate and play with other cats. They eaither dont know manners or dont care. its up to you to teach him manners, and give him plenty of breaks from your older cat so the older kitty dosnt get too stressed out.

the good news is, he should mellow out. in the mean time, play with him with toys, give him plenty of things to do by himself. he is bord and harassing your cat is fun for him. Dont yell at your older cat for hissing or hitting him. only seperate if it gets out of control. If he will not stop you can try to play with him with toys, or sometimes you can shoo him away or say a firm "no"

it really depends on the cat. some male cats listen well to being told "no" some just dont get it and will need to be distracted with other things to do.
[notify]

Luke

The Silly Guy

Purred: Tue Jan 12, '10 8:08pm PST 
Not sure if this is an option, but are you able to adopt another kitten? We have 2 males, almost 2 years old, and recently adopted 2 kittens, now almost 4 months old. The kittens will sometime annoy the older cats with their hyperactive play, but when the older cats run off and hide and/or show their annoyance with the kittens, at least the younger cats can continue to play with each other.
[notify]

Lou

Purred: Wed Jan 13, '10 6:58am PST 
thank you for your suggestions, we have had the kitten for 3 months, I do not like seeing my older cat so stressed with this little kitten I do continue to put the kitten in time out by putting him in another room, also the kitten is male and he is already nuetered and I was going to try the natural liquid that helps to calm they sell at petsmart and see it that helps.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Wed Jan 13, '10 12:46pm PST 
Actually, at 5 months old, he is acting like a normal kitten would, he wants to play, and Lou is it. big grin

Kittens learn the basics from their momma kitty, then they learn kitty socialization skills, from adult cats in the household, the adult cat is the mentor, teaches them, and puts them in their place. big grin

I had the opposite prob, Bumpurr is a big boy, and as big as he is, and as small as the kittens were, he thought they were toys that moved by themselves. He just wanted to play, but he played too rough with them, so he had to be taught, they are not toys.

I watched when they interacted, and if the kittens started crying, I said "no playing rough with kittens" and followed that with the squirt bottle, which with Bumpurr, all ya had to do, was show it to him. After a few days, just saying the words stopped him, then a few more days, and he learned.

If the kittens weren't crying, I let them work it out. Bumpurr is their mentor, they love him and he loves them, he teaches them. Now that they are older, they body slam him, and they all run thru the house at warp speed.

I understand Lou does not want to play with the kitten, and anytime a new cat is brought into the household, there is a reshuffling of the pecking order. Lou was an only child, now he has a new baby brother, and he is telling the kitten, you are low man and I am still head man, thats what all the hissing is about, he is teaching the kitten.

The kittens try and play with Smokey, she can't be bothered with the little rug rats, she smacks them on the head and walks away, they soon learned not to bother her.

Bumpurr was the opposite, when he was a kitten, he flew his way up the ladder, and took on, my bf's cat at the time, who was head man, and a real B, didn't think anybody could get past her, let alone a little kitten, he did.

I guess what I am trying to say, is if nobody is crying, and its not an all out alley cat fight, just let them work it out. Lou is either going to stay head man, or he is going to let the kitten pass him.

I really would not get any kind of calming aid for the kitten, if thats what you meant, thats like trying to sedate a 2 yr old child, because he is a holy terror.

Seperating the kitten, really does not teach the kitten anything, its actually punishing him, when he really has not done anything wrong, only what comes naturally to a kitten.

You can teach the kitten, not to be so rough with Lou, if thats what the issue is, you do it the same way, I taught Bumpurr not to be so rough with the kittens, and at 5 months, he is old enough to learn. It doesn't happen over night, and it takes patience, and you always have to use the same word or words.

Here is a link to help you, and best of luck, whatever you decide to do, Lou is a beautiful cat, I love his color!

big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin

http://www.pet education.com/category.cfm?c=1+2174

http://www.peteducation.com/c ategory.cfm?c=1+2137

http://www.peteducation.com/category.cfm?c=1 +2230
[notify]