GO!

NEVER adopt a declawed cat (?)

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 6 of 6: Viewing entries 51 to 57)  
1  2  3  4  5  6  
Alfie - Angel DB#14

Little Darling

Purred: Fri Mar 16, '12 5:09am PST 
Why do people declaw cats? I think it is an awful practice that should be outlawed. As for putting a cat to sleep because of something that isn't its fault. That just adds insult to injury. I have had cats for the past 30 years and I am happy to report that I have NEVER felt the need to declaw one of them.

If somebody took all my finger and toenails away I'd pee and poop on their sofa too!

Chrissi
[notify]

Purred: Fri Mar 16, '12 3:33pm PST 
I have had cats for the past 30 years and I am happy to report that I have NEVER felt the need to declaw one of them.

Yes, but we can all guess what your furniture looks like big grin That or you have those awful mega beige scratching post cat trees.

My cat came off the streets starving & weighing 5lbs. I can assure you he was happy to trade his claws for a warm house and a constant supply of food.
[notify]

Ben

I fetch,- therefore I am.

Purred: Fri Mar 16, '12 4:00pm PST 
Please note, this thread is not about choosing to declaw cats, it is about adopting cats from a shelter who were declawed by previous guardians.

Any further off-topic posts will be removed.

Thanks,
Catster's Moderator Team

Angel Sandy

Always an Angel

Purred: Sat Mar 17, '12 10:56am PST 
I was declawed, on all four paws, and I was very shy too, in the beginning, after my former owner had to give me up, and I was adopted, not from a shelter, but from a foster home. I didn't have any behavior issues, unless you count being picky about my litterbox and chosing to go somewhere else. I was very sweet.
I can't purromise that that would happen with every declawed shelter cat. It's not necessarily the declawing that makes their behavior the way it is, it's how the cats are raised, how much human contact they've had, health issues, etc.
In fact, right now, Mistress is looking for a declawed shelter cat to adopt. She would prefur not to declaw, but unfortunately it's a rule in he building she lives in confused So she wants to give a declawed shelter cat another chance. Fortunately for the cats (unfortunate for Mistress) they are few and far between, the nearest adoptable declawed cat is many, many miles from her home.
[notify]

Alfie - Angel DB#14

Little Darling

Purred: Sat Mar 17, '12 5:26pm PST 
All my cats have claws and my furniture is fine. It is cruel to declaw a cat. I don't know anybody that does it and I know that my vet would NOT do it. If a cat gets into a fight and has no claws how can it defend itself. There is no good reason to declaw a cat other than to satisfy it's selfish owner.

As I say my furniture is fine but I love my cats far more than I love my furniture.

Edited by author Sat Mar 17, '12 5:29pm PST

[notify]

Ralphie & Randy

Purred: Sat Mar 17, '12 6:12pm PST 
CATS > furniture

CATS > decor

CATS > human convenience

I think it's sad that cats are deemed by some to be so inconsequential that they must be "happy" to be disfigured in order to have food and shelter, and that it is accepted by our society that they be put to death if they still do not conform to human expectations.

Angel Sandy, your Mistress is awesome to consider adopting a declawed cat, though it's sad that it is a housing requirement. You, Mistress, are awesome for looking for an even-less-fortunate shelter cat to rescue!
[notify]

Alfie - Angel DB#14

Little Darling

Purred: Sun Mar 18, '12 10:51am PST 
I would like to add that declawing a cat was outlawed in the UK in 2006 when we introduced the Animal Welfare Act and quite rightly so.

Chrissi
[notify]

(Page 6 of 6: Viewing entries 51 to 57)  
1  2  3  4  5  6