GO!

Soft Paws Glue

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2  
Loki

Purred: Sun Jan 17, '10 10:48am PST 
If anyone uses vinegar as a deterrent, I would say to be judiciously cautious. Since vinegar is very acidic, if a cat ingests too much of it (even over time), it can cause crystals. I mention this out of our own experience.

I do keep a few gallons of vinegar handy for housecleaning purposes. Did you know it's great for removing hard water deposits? Soak a crusty item with vinegar for a good while, then brush off that gunk with a good stiff cleaning brush... works like magic. I also periodically run vinegar through the coffee machine and the dishwasher to keep down the hard water buildup. Of course, I have to run the coffee machine on clean water a few times before brewing again. winkbig grin
[notify]

Callie Mia

Mamma sez Im- sewwww Booful

Purred: Mon Jan 18, '10 4:38am PST 
My beautiful male tabby, Etnie, is the big scratcher in our house. It took me a long time to realize he uses his scratching to get my attention.

For example, I got a 2nd hand chair that was in beautiful condition (2nd hand is the only kind I have now that I'm a cat owner). Of course I would yell at Et any time he went to scratch it, which seemed to draw him to it even more. Eventually, I saw him looking at me dead in the eye every time he scratched. When I got up to correct him, he would run to where ever he wanted me to do something, such as his food dish to be 'topped up'. Basically, he was using it as a message board of sorts. And it worked pretty darn well, for him, that is.

Finally, I realized not to acknowledge his actions, just put him in the other room til he forgot why he was pushing my buttons. Not sure if that's your boys reason for the scratch, but it wouldn't hurt to see how he follows up on getting your attention.

Cats are MUCH smarter than people give them credit for.

I also used the water w/a touch of vinegar bottle, as water alone never did much in the distracting department.

Et still does his scratching thing where he isn't supposed to, but more in an area I don't care about, but make him think I do so he gets that lil' bit of satisfaction.
[notify]

Purred: Thu Jan 23, '14 7:32pm PST 
How expensive is it to get your animals soft paws? I would love to do it for my cats first off and then maybe our ferret. Can anybody answer my question? Thanks

George Puzo | http://www.calvinpetsupplies.com/toys/
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 13)  
1  2