GO!

My new kitten is sucking on my shirt sleeves

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Phoebe Ruth

Purred: Tue Oct 7, '08 7:55pm PST 
I got a new kitten on Saturday and she is very sweet and is 11 weeks old. She has been doing really well with our 2 dogs and adjusting quite well. The only thing I was wondering about is that when I sit down and hold her she will start kneading me (which I know is normal) but she will also start sucking on my shirt. I was just curious if this was because she was weaned to early from her mom or if it is a way of showing affection. Also, if anybody has any tips as how to stop her from doing this or transfer the activity to something else besides my clothes it would be greatly appreciated.
[notify]

Diego

I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Tue Oct 7, '08 9:00pm PST 
What a cutie you are. Yes, you were probably taken away from your mom too soon. I would suggest substituting a soft blanket or something that will be ok for her to suck on. If she goes for your sleeve, just put the blanket there instead. Hopefully she will transition to it.
[notify]

Callie

Purred: Wed Oct 8, '08 4:38pm PST 
My one cat does that as well but not on my clothes he sucks on a little cat bed he's a little over one and is pretty big now and is still doing it so i dont think it's anything that they stop. His cat bed is on my bed and he'll come up and suck on the cat bed and knead then fall asleep after. I would also say it's because they were taken from their mommy too soon because my cat was found outside no bigger that a coke can. Good luck...
[notify]

Tabitha

Bridge to- Terabithia,- fairy princess

Purred: Thu Oct 9, '08 10:07pm PST 
Don't worry, I do the same thing...but to my fellow kitty bro and also to my kitty sis.I also try it on M & D but they shoo me away...

Its normal for kittens who wanted more Mommy time. Tabitha was a good 8-9 weeks when found, and none of the other kittens do this. I think it just depends on the cat.

But Tabitha is extra sweet and affectionate, so its worth itsmile
[notify]

Loki

Purred: Fri Oct 10, '08 10:09am PST 
I was (and still am) the biggest of my littermates. I was a teat hog! I did not want to be weaned. When mommacat had enough of me and started swatting me away, I even tried nursing off the dog! MOL big laugh

Now I just... uhhmmm, I... errr, *sigh*.... I suck on my tail. Still. Yes, I know I'm five years old - wanna make something of it?!
[notify]

Mouse

Baby Kitty

Purred: Sat Oct 11, '08 2:15pm PST 
If kitty has decided she wants to suck on your shirt sleeve.....then you'll likely not change her mind! I've been with my humans since I was 9 weeks old, and I have always (and still do after over a year!) sucked on the inside of my leg!!! LOL
[notify]