GO!

Self-Cleaning Litter box?

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jake

Jakey Jake - Never Awake

Purred: Tue Feb 19, '08 2:40pm PST 
I needed some suggestions and/or opinions on self-cleaning litter boxes. I am considering getting one, and was wondering who all had one, how they work, and which you would suggest?

Thanks for any help! smile
[notify]

Angus

Ten Tonne Tommy

Purred: Tue Feb 19, '08 6:19pm PST 
I considered this but discounted it in the end. There's no guarantee that my 'doings' will be scoopable - even when the tray's got fullers earth in it. There's also the two of us and we might get caught up in the mechanism if the timing is wrong (I haven't tested to see whether R goes before or after me within 15mins). R is a bit enthusiastic with her digging and spreading anyway so Meowmy has to sweep up all the time anyway. Meowmy wants us to do our 'doings' outside....eeyeowwwwww! No way!kitty
[notify]

Izadore- (Izzie)

Always make it- look like the- dogs did it

Purred: Tue Feb 19, '08 6:39pm PST 
I purchased a Littermate a few years back for Shizze, my first kitty. It cost about $60.00 and was a total waste of money. It's not that much easier to keep clean because you still have to empty out the box that the stuff is pushed into. It has to be kept very clean or the litter makes the door on the receptacle "sticky" and you wind up with dirty litter all over the edge. The whole contraption comes apart and everything has to be scrubbed at least once a week and then you have to put it back together. I found that it's much easier just to do my daily scoop with the regular $7.00 litter boxes that my three use now.
[notify]

Strange

Princess

Purred: Tue Feb 19, '08 6:53pm PST 
Moms thought about it but doesnt like the idea.
The fact that the big contraption thingy is part of the litter space, and one of us being clasterphobic didnt seem like a good idea.
Also our litter likes to stick to the bottom of the tray and it just didnt seem like it would scrape it off right.
Some of us spend a good 20 minutes in the litter box, kicking things around and things of the sort and if it went off we would have a heart attack.
Moms going to stick to scooping herself
[notify]

Izadore- (Izzie)

Always make it- look like the- dogs did it

Purred: Wed Feb 20, '08 12:02pm PST 
I discovered something by accident once when I was scooping. I always have a lot of litter stuck on the bottom of the pan also. I got a large sized paint scraper and now I use that to scrape the bottom of the litter box. It doesn't bend like a scooper does and then flip litter out of the box. It works great!way to go
[notify]

♥- Apache

Smile and the- world smiles- with you

Purred: Wed Feb 20, '08 12:40pm PST 
We have two automatic litter boxes, 3 regular ones and 6 cats.

I have a ScoopFree, and a LitterMaid Elite. We love the ScoopFree - it has boxes that are replaced - you just put the cover on and out to the trash can. It uses Crystals.

The down side is - it's recommended to use a box for one month - at our house we change the crystals weekly - but the cardboard box does last a month. Refill Boxes are $19.99 But everyone sneaks into that box.

The other one we just got - with 5 guaranteed kittys butts using the box, the bin filled up quickly. But it can be emptied out and reused - it also has an air cleaner than comes on as soon as the cat leaves the box. It waits 10 minutes then rakes the litter.

For a large cat family - there is no "perfect litter box - you need several of whatever you like.
[notify]

Strange

Princess

Purred: Fri Feb 22, '08 5:45pm PST 
paint scraper! excellent idea!
* goes out to buy one *
[notify]

Winter

Did I just hear- the treat jar- rattle?

Purred: Fri Feb 22, '08 6:47pm PST 
i have a littermaid. i used it for about 3 days. 2 of my cats were terrified of the noise. and 1 cat played in tehre just to make it move because she liked to watch it scoop. the automatic box now resides in my attic. i have stuck to my homemade 45 gal rubbermaid litterboxes. laugh out loud
[notify]

Pele

Ineffable in- fluffiness

Purred: Sat Feb 23, '08 7:00pm PST 
I have to weigh in in favor of the Litter Maid. It's a big improvement for us over the regular litter box. We found that between restrictions on when we could put out garbage and the really old pipes, regular flushable litter caused some stinky problems. Everyone adapted really well to it, and Dad finds it easier to deal with
[notify]

churrah-has- left the- building.

senior citizen- ninja- kitty-mousies- MINE!

Purred: Mon Feb 25, '08 4:21pm PST 
um...i have a litter maid, and it has never gone off while i'm actually in it, no matter how much time i spend hanging out. mine starts doing its thing fifteen minutes after i leave, whenever that is...and the timer resets if i get back in before fifteen minutes are up...or if one of the kittens decides to check things out before the fifteen minutes are up...or if one of the kittens tries to 'attack' it while it's moving. (actually, i used to like to attack it too, but it freezes pretty much right when you touch it. doesn't put up a fight at all, so i lost interest)
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2