GO!

What are signs that a kitten was taken from it's mother too soon?

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Loki & Thor

Loki: Food /- Thor: Pet me

Purred: Fri Jan 4, '08 11:22pm PST 
We have 2 kittens of the same age. We found Loki in Aug 07, and he was 4 months old. We found Thor in Sept 07, and he was 5 months old. The vet thinks they're probably littermates.

Thor seems to be more needy and "kitten-like" than Loki. He often cries for our attention, especially when he can't find us. He often licks our hands, arms, faces, etc. He often kneeds our laps with his front paws while purring loudly and squinting his eyes. Also, he does the same on any soft surface, like blankets. He's afraid of loud noises and lots of activity. He's hesistant to explore outside on his own unless he's following Loki.

If our cats are indeed siblings, then Loki was on the street for a few days, and Thor was on his own for nearly 5 weeks. If they are siblings, and removed from their mother too soon, wouldn't they be acting similar? And, I would think that Thor would be more confident and street smart, being on his own for longer.

Any thoughts?

Edited by author Sat Jan 5, '08 2:47pm PST

[notify]

MORTICIA

brat princess- with sharp claws

Purred: Sat Jan 5, '08 5:52am PST 
not neccessarily. littermates or not, they may just have 2 different personalities. when i was reading the how to pick a kitten books they mentioned that most litters can be divided into a few personality types. skittish/insecure, ambivalent and friendly/active. if they were away from mom too early, they'd suckle anything. there are some more signs but i don't remember. honestly though you'll never know. if mama was astray you may be correct or if some jerky human tossed them outthinking .
[notify]

Sam

Rub my belly!

Purred: Sat Jan 5, '08 10:55pm PST 
I agree that kitties have different personality types...and like people they can deal with separation differently. Your kitty does show some signs of early separation, but I think a lot of stray kitties do ( I know both of ours do). It sounds like he might grow up to be shy of new situation and strangers, and maybe extra attached to his people, but he's still young. These also aren't the worst qualities in a kitty and I'm sure being around Loki will help him to feel braver.
[notify]

Megumi

http://www.flick- r.com/photos/tri- nlayk/

Purred: Tue Jan 8, '08 12:02am PST 
Being on his own longer at such a young age might be why Thor is such a baby. Loki at least had someone to take care of him.

I got given to my Human Mommy when I was 4 weeks old, too little to leave my kitty mom! (It wasn't Human Mommy's fault, I was just given to her that young.) I really think of my Human Mommy as the same as my kitty mom and I hate to be away from her even a few minutes. Sometimes I have a bad dream, and then I suck on her ears or climb in her shirt to cuddle. I love her better than anybody ever... and sometimes a just AM a big baby.

We adopted Seimei when he was 12 weeks old, he's much braver than me, and a bit of a pest. Some of it is the time he stayed with his kitty mom, and some of it just is his personality.
[notify]

Loki & Thor

Loki: Food /- Thor: Pet me

Purred: Wed Jan 9, '08 3:37pm PST 
That's what I was thinking too, Megumi.

Yes, they definitely have different personalities overall. And, I love how Thor has bonded so closely with us. In fact, he's more outgoing than Loki, at home with just us. Hopefully in the future, he will gain more confidence from being around Loki.

If they are littermates, that means that they were 4 months old when their litter was abandoned in our neighborhood. Is 4 months typically the age they are taken from their mothers? Or older? Or younger?

If 4 months is an ok age, then I figure that either:
1.) Perhaps Thor had some pretty traumatic experiences during his 5 weeks and now that has a new "mother" and is being "taken care of" he's allowed himself to mentally regress a bit
or
2.) Thor and Loki are from different litters and Thor might have been out on the street for a lot longer than we originally thought

Just curious...oh well, guess I'll never really know. But I DO want to know the proper age for leaving the mother. Anyone?

Edited by author Wed Jan 9, '08 3:55pm PST

[notify]

Ponch

King of the- Castle

Purred: Thu Jan 10, '08 7:54am PST 
I don't know what the "proper" age is for kittens to be weaned and separated from their moms, because we've gotten our kittens from shelters. I do know that there are so many things that they learn from their litter and mom, so the longer they are with the litter the better off they may be. For example.... we got Ponch from the shelter when he was 2 months old. I don't know how long he had been separated from his mom and he was only with one other littermate. As a young kitten, he would play rough with us. He would bite our hands and lay under the bed and attack our feet as we walked by. I love this kitten game, but he used his claws, so it wasn't very pleasant. smile About a year later we adopted Zibby from the shelter. He was 3 months old and was with his mom and littermates. He played the same games as Ponch, but he never bit and never used his claws.... probably because he was socialized not to by his mom.

Also, Ponch tries to "nurse" from our dog Rudy's neck. At night when Rudy's on the bed, he will lay down and push his nose as far into the loose skin under Rudy's chin as far as he can. He will knead Rudy's neck like kittens do to their mothers and then I can sometimes hear a sucking sound. Rudy doesn't mind... he just throws a paw over Ponch and cuddles with him, but I've never heard of this before. Is this because he was taken from his mother too young? I'd love to hear your thoughts Catsters.
[notify]

Megumi

http://www.flick- r.com/photos/tri- nlayk/

Purred: Fri Jan 11, '08 9:39am PST 
A good shelter will only take kitties from their kitty moms at 8- 12 weeks old (2-3 months)... but some kitties are just more needy or had a rough time before hand (like living on the street) and might just need more reassurance from Human Mommy or Daddy.

I got a big more babyish when my brother was adopted when he was 12 weeks old, even though he was so little I was trying to sort of be a really good big sister for him. He still sometimes needs help washing his face.

He was Soooo stinky when we first got him, but I cleaned him right up.
[notify]

Gizmo

Gizmatic Unit

Purred: Sat Jan 12, '08 6:52am PST 
I hand reared Gizmo, he was only 2 weeks old And Cuteness was 6 weeks old and they are both different. Gizmo gets more stressed out when I am gone too long...I have been away 2 weeks and each time Gizmo became very aggressive and would hiss, growl and attack whoever was caring for him until I returned. He also gets more aggressive when he doesnt get his way. Cuteness handles these situations far better. He doesnt warm up to people as quickly as Cuteness either. My friends love Gizmo but tend to pay more attention the Cuteness because she is far more friendlier to people and doesnt hiss at them like Gizmo.
[notify]

Gizmo

Gizmatic Unit

Purred: Sat Jan 12, '08 6:53am PST 
I hand reared Gizmo, he was only 2 weeks old And Cuteness was 6 weeks old and they are both different. Gizmo gets more stressed out when I am gone too long...I have been away 2 weeks and each time Gizmo became very aggressive and would hiss, growl and attack whoever was caring for him until I returned. He also gets more aggressive when he doesnt get his way. Cuteness handles these situations far better. He doesnt warm up to people as quickly as Cuteness either. My friends love Gizmo but tend to pay more attention the Cuteness because she is far more friendlier to people and doesnt hiss at them like Gizmo.
[notify]

kaya skye

not fighting my- demons-we joined- forces

Purred: Sat Jan 12, '08 8:35am PST 
got kaya and shyloh when they were somewhere in the neighborhood of six weeks-not sure, but really too young to leave their mom. shyloh is hideous about not using her claws when she plays, and kaya sucks on my shirt, my blanket--so persistent with the blanket that she soaks it. kitty drool, sooo attractivelaugh out loudand my hair. she doesn't go to town too much on my hair, simply because it quite frankly gives me the creeps so i relocate her-sounds absolutely vampiric right against my skull, or like i have skull termites or something. which is why i now sleep with the blanket over my head, or she'd suck on my head while i slept-and i'd get even less sleep than i do. anybody know if there's such a thing as a kitty pacifier?thinking
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2