GO!

Cat won't stop crying! Please help!!

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Saki

Fluffem Sakems

Purred: Thu Jul 26, '07 9:53pm PST 
Saki has been meowing non-stop the past week. She's crying at the doors, out the windows, anywhere she wants. It's starting to make family members angry with all of her annoying meowing. I can even hear her crying early in the mornings and late at night. She's mostly yowling at the door that leads to downstairs. My brother is starting to threaten her if she meows for hours at his bedroom door again at 4am. frownconfused

I brought her downstairs today to calm her down and she was happy, but then I had to bring her back upstairs and she started crying again. (I'm also looking for signs of being sick) But just now, she just jumped at the door knob. I'm thinking she knows about Luca and Simba, but they're 2 floors down (in the basement), but they've known about them all this time. I almost always come upstairs smelling like Luca and Simba every day and they sniff me for awhile.

Is there a way to get her to stop crying 24/7?? How could I train her that yowling is bad and being quiet is good? Any tips???

Please help usfrownfrown
[notify]

Sam

Rub my belly!

Purred: Sat Jul 28, '07 9:21am PST 
Is she spayed? It sounds like she's in heat. I don't know the specifics of your situation from the post, but some breeds are more vocal than other and if she stops when you come by and give her attention she might just be lonely. Maybe she needs more attention and if she is good with the other cats to spend more time with them? Is she locked in a small area? When we first got Sam he HATED confinement and was a terror, but once he got his own space calmed down a lot.
[notify]

Sam

Rub my belly!

Purred: Sat Jul 28, '07 9:26am PST 
Is she spayed? It sounds like she's in heat. I don't know the specifics of your situation from the post, but some breeds are more vocal than other and if she stops when you come by and give her attention she might just be lonely. Maybe she needs more attention and if she is good with the other cats to spend more time with them? Is she locked in a small area? When we first got Sam he HATED confinement and was a terror, but once he got his own space calmed down a lot.
[notify]

Hopper

Get outta my- space!

Purred: Sat Jul 28, '07 10:14am PST 
I agree it sounds like she is in heat. However, a sick cat will yowl and yowl too, poor girl probably needs to be checked at the vet.

Edited by author Sat Jul 28, '07 10:17am PST

[notify]

Angel

Purred: Sat Jul 28, '07 11:55am PST 
I used to do that till i was fixed.
[notify]

Saki

Fluffem Sakems

Purred: Sat Jul 28, '07 7:11pm PST 
Oh my bad! Yes, she is spayed. She was fixed over a year ago once we adopted her from the humane society. But she continues crying and I'm doing my best to keep her under control. When she starts to become annoying, I go spray her in the face with water from a little spray bottle. It's actually working out a little bit, but not well enough.

I'm doing my best to watch for any sign of being sick, but nothing. Just constant meowing at the same door. shrug

I'm doing my best with her.
[notify]

Velvet- 1992-2008

Grimalkin Power

Purred: Sat Jul 28, '07 7:26pm PST 
Hi Saki. I cry and cry too. All I want is to go outside. I would live out there if mommy would let me but she won't. Based on your story, maybe you want to interact with Simba and Luca. It doesn't matter that they are two floors down. Marina could smell Tosca from all the way across the house and she would hiss and hiss even though Tosca was no where near her. Just knowing her smell was in the house upset her. Maybe you are upset about being separated from Simba and Luca.
[notify]

Saki

Fluffem Sakems

Purred: Sat Jul 28, '07 10:45pm PST 
Thanks Velvet! That made sense. I'll take Saki downstairs tomorrow around noon to see what she does and I'll let her explore and sniff and keep an eye on her. I'll have to try my best to keep her under control tonight. She is very vocal and very loud. I hope this works. And I might take her down later after that, but I don't want her to think it's becoming a part of her routine. Sometimes she slips out downstairs and won't come back until she wants to. (Plus we have lots of food in her reach on food shelves and don't want her getting into any of that)

Thanks again Velvet!big grin
[notify]

Saki

Fluffem Sakems

Purred: Mon Jul 30, '07 11:05am PST 
I think I found out her problem!! She did something on a shelf (I don't know if she coughed it up or it came out the other end) but I looked at it and it was full of hair. I think she has hairballs.

Leo has hairballs and has to eat Petroleum Jelly all the time to help him with them so now I'll get Saki hooked onto it and see if she calms down. She does have thick short fur and I was always wondering how she didn't have hairballs when Leo did, and he has short thin fur. I'll start feeding her the jelly before she gets any worse. I hope it also gets her to stop crying the door all the time.

I'll keep you posted!!
[notify]

Misha

The Bushburg- Women

Purred: Mon Jul 30, '07 8:10pm PST 
I am a loud mouth girl too!
Mom says I have to talk about everything.
I even scream in Napoleon's face all day.
We are told that my brother is the same way, just a chatterbox.
Sometimes I get very annoying too, with all the cat chat.
Everyone here has adapted to my voice.
It did take time.
[notify]