GO!

Can I crate the cat?

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Fang

Mistress of- Chaos

Purred: Sun Jun 24, '07 5:27pm PST 
We are hosting a rescue cat, mainly due to lack of other feasible options. The cat clings to me like Velcro, but hisses and spits at my dog and my cat. This causes problems, in part because when my dog is scared, he wants to be in my lap. So we end up in a knot of frightened/angry animals with me at the center. Because I feel that they are not ready to interact on their own without supervision, I tried putting the cat in the basement (with her own box, food, etc.), but she cried all night. Last night at midnight, I had had it -- couldn't sleep -- and I hauled old my dog's old puppy crate and crated her in my bedroom (where my dog and cat also sleep). She stopped crying and pretty much slept all night. We are getting ready to go to bed again, and starting to get another knot of stressed/angry animals, so I have crated her again for the night. It seems to be working, but I've never read about crating cats. Based on observation of my own cat, I am thinking that she can easily hold it from pottying and go without food and water for the eight hours of the night (she's a healthy adult) -- but would be interested in anyone else's opinions. It's not like we have any other options other than putting her in the basement by herself and letting her yowl because she doesn't want to be alone.
[notify]

The Fosters

Fosters are- Forever in Your- Heart

Purred: Sun Jun 24, '07 5:45pm PST 
Before I took the Baileys, they were in a crate...a large dog crate.
They had the litter box and the food/water inside of the crate. One of the reasons they wanted me to take them was, at three weeks, the kittens were starting to need to move around more. If you think of the conditions at most shelters, the cats are caged with food, water, and litter. So, just try to get a big enough crate so the cat will be comfortable.
If it is just for the night time, then there is no need for the food or water, but I might put a small litter pan in 'just in case.'

Edited by author Sun Jun 24, '07 5:47pm PST

[notify]

Jake

The World: your- oyster, my- napping space

Purred: Sun Jun 24, '07 6:26pm PST 
Even if it is a little "unorthodox," it's safe and seems to not bother your kitty, and in fact seems to be making her happier than other options. So I think you'd be worrying needlessly to wonder that it isn't a good idea. It might not work for all cats, but since it's working for this situation I think it's a great idea, and you should pat yourself on the back for thinking of something that pleased everyone and kept your whole little family safe, comfy, and happy. :3

Fang

Mistress of- Chaos

Purred: Mon Jun 25, '07 3:33am PST 
Thanks! I just wanted to make sure that cats can safely go the night without access to food, water or litter (a grown dog certainly can, and I'm pretty sure my cat can.) We all got some sleep last night again. I just feel sorry for my animals because she keeps hissing and spitting at them and it freaks them out.
[notify]

Nik

Purred: Tue Sep 21, '10 10:19pm PST 
It is extremely unhealthy to force a cat to hold its pee overnight, please make sure you have a litter box on hand at all times. A cat can develop many urinary disorders by being forced to hold its pee for long hours, like overnight. I certainly would not like to go overnight without water, why would my cats? We do not withhold dry food from cats overnight (unless surgery is due the next day) since they are inherently nocturnal creatures. Crating is certainly fine, especially for training kittens new to a holdhold, but witholding food and litter doesn't sound like such a great idea.
[notify]

BooBoo

headed for the- light.

Purred: Wed Sep 22, '10 9:46am PST 
We only get fed a set amount twice a day--Meowma says we are fat, she should look in the mirror--so think no food is fine but would get a crate big enough for a litter box and water so she doesn't get a UTI.
By the way, did you introduce this cat gradually, or just bring her into the bunch. If it's the latter, you might start over with gradual introduction to make everyone happier.
[notify]

Bumpurr

RESPECT The- Star!

Purred: Fri Sep 24, '10 2:13pm PST 
All mine are crate trained, they were all taught as kittens. When I brought the kittens home at 8 weeks old, they were crated for 2-3 days, and shut in the bedroom. They had soft clean blankets, toys, food/water and
a cat box. After a few days, they were let loose in the bedroom, when I was there to supervise them, but when I could not, or was at work, they were crated, it was for their safety.

They have disposable kitty boxes, with the litter already in them, in the pet section, but what I did, was use a show cat box, which is on the smaller size. I got it at the dollor store, in the storage bin section, the dimensions are about that as a cake pan, but it is very deep, and has a top on it, that I use to travel with.

Nothing wrong with teaching them to crate, you just have to make sure they have at least water, if they are sched fed, and a cat box. And soft towels and blankets, makes them more comfortable, I also put newspapers under the blanket, just in case, they spilled their water.

Best of luck. big grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grinbig grin
[notify]

Purred: Sun Jan 5, '14 7:25am PST 
What about an out-of-control kitten? We took her in after being abandoned and was very thin and needy. She can be cuddly and really cute playing. However she has a very wild streak and becomes destructive...not playful. I've used the squirt bottle and she reacted well at first, but she will return to the bad behavior almost immediately. Is this something that crating can be used for? I don't want to be inhumane, but she isn't "getting it" with the squirting! Help
[notify]