GO!

Peeing on Mom & Dad's Bed

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Coal

Zzzzzzz.....

Purred: Mon Jul 25, '05 9:07am PST 
My fiance and I got 2 kittens a few weeks ago from his mother. The kittens never messed anywhere but their litterbox with her, and when we got them to our house all was good for about 2 weeks, then we wake up one morning with pee & poop on our bed! I've caught Coal doing this and we're not sure how to handle it. We want the kittens to be able to sleep with us but we've resorted to locking them out of our room. He is not neutered yet but he will be.

Any suggestions how to stop it and insights as to what is causing this?
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Purred: Mon Jul 25, '05 2:11pm PST 
You've got to realize that these little ones have gone through a number of changes recently and have been moved around. Do you have a litterbox in your bedroom for them? It might be best at night to put the same box they used to sleep in beside your bed (and have their litterbox close by). Kittens under 6 months are still developing control over their bladder & bowel habits so have some patience if they think your bed is a giant litterbox. Don't take them to bed with you but put them in their old bed. In the meantime thoroughly clean your bedcovers so the scent doesn't attract them to keep using the same spot over again as a "litterbox".
Another thought - there is nothing wrong with having your two kitties spend the night in a separate room (with their beds & litterboxes). At least they will grow into this habit (hopefully!) and you will get some sleep each night!
[notify]

Coal

Zzzzzzz.....

Purred: Mon Jul 25, '05 2:56pm PST 
If we keep them out of our room they have no problem using the litterbox, it is currently in our linen closet, we've taken the door off and put their litterbox in there (it's a big space, with a small window). They have a cube bed but never used it even before we got them so they never really had a bed. They usually sleep on the couch or recliner. If we leave the door open to our room, Coal will go in there and pee on the bed instead of going to his litterbox, so it's not just at night. We wash our sheets & comforter and also clean the mattress with pet stain & oder remover.
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Purred: Mon Jul 25, '05 5:50pm PST 
How old is Coal now? If he is getting close to the 6 mth age this could be a "territorial marking" issue. Is he the only one doing this or is your other kitten doing this as well? I'm assuming that when the kittens came from your fiance's mom they were used to being around a female presence. Cats are strange little beasts and possessive of their owners. For example, a male cat can view a husband in a partnership as a contender for the wife's attention. So, the male cat will act aloof, scratch, hiss, ignore, poop, or pee on possessions of the man or areas where the couple spend alot of time so he can place his "mark" on his mistress. Of course once Coal is neutered alot of his "wild" behaviour will disappear. You could safely have him neutered at 5 months (as I did with Seamus who began spraying!) but not before. Even with my cat, he is "a definite momma's boy" and just "tolerates" his dad. Best to keep your bedroom door closed and off limits!
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Purred: Mon Jul 25, '05 7:42pm PST 
Me again! If you want to read some excellent info on cats & litterbox problems & solutions go to www.catsinternational.org
I think this site is a great resource for cat owners.
[notify]

Coal

Zzzzzzz.....

Purred: Tue Jul 26, '05 6:14am PST 
At my fiance's mom's there was her father there but he is bedridden. They sometimes played in his room but he was never active in their lives. I tried your suggestion about putting the litterbox in the bedroom & we had no accidents last night. The bed was pee free in the morning. smile Coal is 3 months right now, he was born in April. I don't think his sister goes potty outside the litterbox, at least I've never caught her. I've had female kittens before and never had them have accidents, especially on the bed.

We have a vet appointment Thursday for them, their first one since moving here with us. We'll bring up the issue there but hopefully it's something he will grow out of and we won't have to keep a litterbox in our room. smile
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Purred: Tue Jul 26, '05 10:14am PST 
It's still a good idea to go to the website I mentioned above. I think that part of your problem was/is that Coal is: a) still a kitten; b) male and un-neutered; c) marking his territory and is somewhat anxious, probably due to your recent move. There are some very good tips on the website. (You don't want to have a litterbox in your bedroom I'm sure for the rest of your life!) I think you'll find that your vet will tell you that this behavior will (should) disappear after Coal is neutered at 5 or 6 mths. In the meantime, try and spend alot of "quiet time" with him, no rough play as he probably does enough of that with his sister. Congratulations on the "pee-free" night! Another suggestion - do you have separate litterboxes for each cat? If not, this may cause Coal to eliminate where he shouldn't. As well, keep a set of boxes where you had them originally to keep your kitties in the habit of knowing where these are. Better to have too many boxes, than too many accidents!
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Purred: Mon Aug 8, '05 1:43pm PST 
I don't know if this works for cats or not but I've heard that if a dog is doing this to feed them on your bed. They won't eat where they use the restroom. Again,I'm not sure how this works on cats but I thought I'd share. It's worth a shot anyway.
[notify]

Mimi

MEEE MEEE- MEEE!!!

Purred: Sat Aug 13, '05 5:25pm PST 
Oooh I like the sound of getting more treats! I've been upsetting my mum by occasionally treating the spare room as an extra litter tray even though I already have one and can go outside. Even if this doesn't work at least mum will be giving me some more treats!
[notify]