GO!

Urine smells and bad behavior

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Taka

Kiss! Right on- your toes!

Purred: Wed Apr 19, '06 8:02pm PST 
I have feline leukemia. I've had it since before I was part of my current family. For the past few months I've started peeing outside the box. I'm taking medication, and it works somewhat, but not all the time.

Mommy got married last month, and now we've moved into a new home. Yesterday I peed on the couch and Mommy's husband got really upset. Now it stinks, and they may have to get rid of it.

So I have two questions: first of all, can anyone recommend a great odor remover, especially one that works well on cat urine on a microfiber couch? We had a slipcover on it, so the actual damage to the couch is fairly minimal, but it still has a smell. Some products work better than others, and I was wondering if anyone had anything they had tried that worked.

Secondly, does anybody have any suggestions about medication or training that may help with my behavior problems? If I don't get better in four months I'll have to find a new home, and Mommy is very worried no one will be willing to take me. Of course, she's also quite sad that I might have to leave.

Any information you can give us will be greatly appreciated.
[notify]

Danny

Danny Boy

Purred: Thu Apr 20, '06 7:12am PST 
Try Nature's Miracle. Actually, I think any ENZYME product will do.
Look at PetSmart and other pet supply stores.
Ask your vet for help with your health and behavior problems. And try to make your new Dad learn that sick kitties need special care and love, not to be sent away. Maybe he could talk to your vet, too?
[notify]

Diego

I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Thu Apr 20, '06 12:32pm PST 
Danny took the words right out of my mouth. Good luck Taka. I hope your dad can be patient.
[notify]

Zack Beloved- Angel- (1995-2009)

True Blue to My- Girl Kiwi

Purred: Thu Apr 20, '06 3:27pm PST 
Get some of those Feliway Diffusers and put in the rooms where you have had a problem. They are expensive, but last a month or more. Moving and marraige are a stressful time for kitties, and this behaviour may be just trying to get attention, or marking new surroundings. The diffusers emit a smell we humans cannot smell, but it acts as a calmitive to cats. I have used it for about 5 years, and can tell when they start to run dry, because the cats act different.
[notify]

Taka

Kiss! Right on- your toes!

Purred: Fri Apr 21, '06 6:39pm PST 
Thanks for your suggestions! We found out about Feliway online, and we're going to get some tomorrow. Hopefully it will have a significant effect.

I have been doing better lately. We had one more incident yesterday, but none today. I am hoping that time and patience will solve the problem.

The couch has been given up for lost, however. The smell just won't come out. Even enzyme-based cleaners can't take it away fully. We'll be using a plastic slipcover on the new couch until we're sure my bad behavior is under control.
[notify]

Sophie

Little Pink- Nosies Rule!

Purred: Fri Apr 21, '06 6:49pm PST 
Taka, I don't think you're behaving "bad". I think you're behaving "sick".
Take good care of yourself and your Mom, okay?
Purrs!
[notify]