GO!

Biting

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Jade

I'll get you- when you least- expect it

Purred: Thu Apr 6, '06 10:42pm PST 
Hi all my fellow feline friends. My name is Jade.

I don't think I like my human Mommy too much. Whenever I'm playing, she will pick me up and I will bite her hand. Sometimes, I don't mean to, so I will lick her afterwards to show I'm sorry...
I don't understand why she yell, "NO" at me. I thought she likes playing with me. Perhaps, she's just mean... Until, I figure out what the word "NO" mean, then I am going to be me. Human's will never understand.
[notify]

Kate♥

I'm your lucky- charm

Purred: Thu Apr 6, '06 11:25pm PST 
This is what momma says...I've always heard not to wrestle with your kittens with your hand. They see it as another cat to attack. (in play) But, we have never followed that advice! When Jade nips you, try the "No & Blow" method. Firmly, and sharply say no, and blow in their face. You will see a startled little expression, and pretty quick she will make the connection. If this doesn't work, cup your hand like a paw and hiss at her. That's what another cat would do to correct her.
[notify]

Azurine- Ambrosia

I DID NOT DO IT

Purred: Fri Apr 7, '06 5:36am PST 
tell your mommy the golden rule is never to play with you with her hands or feet, you think it is prey and try to kill it.... humans should always use toys etc,to play with you.... not bite your mommy.... I use to try when I was a kitten ,her say no put me down an give my my panda teddy bear to beat up and bite... I would be sitting with her and grab her hand when I was little.. man, she likes that word no.... now anytime I upset I find Teddy and beats him up.. Bluie
[notify]

Nemo (until- we meet- again)

What\'s for- dinner

Purred: Tue Apr 18, '06 9:43am PST 
Meow kitties,

It's probably not a good idea for your mommy to try to pick you up when you're playing. We kitties get really excited when playing and we need time to cool down. When we’re over-stimulated sometimes physical contact becomes painful. That’s why many kitties bite after being petted or brushed for a while. Maybe you can tell your mom to leave you alone when you’re playing or play with you with some kind of toys. When you’re done playing, let you calm down for 15 minutes before handling you. Don’t let you think that biting is the only way to get her off your back. We kitties are unique in many ways. If she realizes our nature and accepts it she’ll find that we aren’t that difficult.
[notify]

Lilibet- Squeekietoy- Humphrey

I am the Tiny- Girl!

Purred: Tue Apr 18, '06 3:25pm PST 
I have this weird habit of biting with affection! If you're my friend and I REALLY like you I give you a little bite! It's not even real biting because I'm so tiny--just a little nip, like a pinch. And only first thing in the morning! Mommy and Auntie Roo always carefully pry my little mouth off saying,"Lili, for heaven's sake! No no! Ow!" They actually think I'm pretty amusing. (Ha ha! I'm the Baby! I can do Anything [but go outside unsupervised])!
[notify]

What\'s for- dinner

Purred: Tue Apr 18, '06 5:29pm PST 
You do that, too? Lili

Sometimes I nip my humans' hands and they have absolutely no idea what it's all about. They can't understand why I do that when I don't seem to be upset at all. I don't bite, just a little nip like when puppies (eeeww) play with their humans.
[notify]

What\'s for- dinner

Purred: Tue Apr 18, '06 5:29pm PST 
You do that, too? Lili

Sometimes I nip my humans' hands and they have absolutely no idea what it's all about. They can't understand why I do that when I don't seem to be upset at all. I don't bite, just a little nip like when puppies (eeeww) play with their humans.
[notify]

Sebastien- the Cat

loud- puuuuurrrrrer

Purred: Wed Apr 19, '06 10:57am PST 
I'm now 6 months old and my humans have been very good in NOT using their hands and feet as pretend-preys. So, I'm pretty good playing with my mouse on a string or soft toys.

However, as a cat like yourself, I 100% understand the urge to bite your human for play, so, sometimes, I'd go over and sit by my human side and bite into his/her hand just gently to show that I am there. There's response is usually "no" or a big loud "cheeee"... that's the way I'm scold here...

Good luck!
[notify]

Madison

Boogie mat

Purred: Wed Apr 19, '06 7:28pm PST 
****Note from Madi's mommy****

Oh little Jade, Madison does that all the time, Whenever we touch her or ANYTHING! She'll start crying and will start to get very upset. We don't know, what worng with our little Madison, We seem to think she was taken away from her mommie to early.
[notify]

Lilibet- Squeekietoy- Humphrey

I am the Tiny- Girl!

Purred: Wed Apr 19, '06 11:40pm PST 
You know what, Jade? Your mama doesn't have to yell at you. You will understand with a soft "no" and a light puff of air to the face. Loud sounds don't help--they just scare us when we're tiny babies.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2