GO!

Help -- He's out of control!!

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Buddy

Purred: Tue Mar 28, '06 5:14am PST 
We're all at our wits-end with Buddy. He does what he wants, when he wants, and none of it's good.

He likes to play in the toilet, and everytime we sit down on the toilet, we get our butt wet! He's also gotten a habit of getting in the kitchen sink whenever someone turns it on.

Lady will also just be laying there, minding her own business, and he jumps out of no where and attacks her! Lady isn't the kind of dog who's mean, so she just gets up and walks away.

He also attacks poor Milo when he sees him.. and Milo has the scratches to prove it.

I was making eggs for breakfast, too, (in the microwave) and as I was stirring the eggs, he jumped up on the counter, and I pushed him back several times as he kept trying to get in the bowl.

Then, he got mad and jumped over. He tried to stick his head in the bowl, but I moved it over. I even put it off the counter, and he still went after it! He managed to put his paw in it and his head. I'm sure you know where that went..

So, I proceded to make it again on ANOTHER counter, but when I pulled the cheese out, he kept trying to get the cheese from me!

And, earlier before the egg incident, I heard him in my room so I went in to see what he was doing.. as he isn't allowed in there unsupervised. I walked in only to find him sprawled out on the floor, and Milo's treat bottle in front of him, OPEN!!

That darn kitten managed to open it, and he even bit wholes in the top and everywhere else. Poor bottle, it was already beat up so bad from Milo... Buddy actually got it open!! And he ate most of the treats! There is just about nothing left, and the container used to be full.

Some people here also know about the ledge.. He likes to jump on the counter, then the fridge, then the top of the cabninets, and then he gets up on the ledge. So, the other day, he knocked a glass chicken off the top, which just worsened our crack in the tile.

He's driving us all crazy.. he destroys everything in sight, and he attacks all of us. For example, if you hold him, he'll bite you. Just a week or so ago, my mother hugged him and he bit her ear!

What should we do? We don't want to bring him back to the humane society.. but he's out of control!

P.S: We've heard of the spray-bottle thing, and we did try that. But it did nothing. He loves to play in the water.
[notify]

Buddy

Purred: Tue Mar 28, '06 5:48am PST 
Another problem..
I put Buddy up in my brother's room, and as he lounged on my brother's computer chair, I "kitten-proofed" his room. (Removed all wires, put any pills away, etc..) Buddy went over to the door and plopped down over there at one point.

As I was leaving, I went to pick him up and he turned around, and bit my arm! It wasn't just an playful bite, either. He broke the skin. In self defense, I instantly bonked him on the head to get him to let go.

I then tried to lure him away from the door... so I could get out. But, there was no use. I was gonna have to pick him up. So, I went over to him and kept trying to pick him up to move him. This went on for about 10 minutes, until I finally was able to put a hand behind his head, and hold it in one place so he couldn't bite me.

I quickly put him on my brother's chair and left the room.

Milo has NEVER broken my skin but a few times.. but never like that. He did it when he was stressed, and he also did it when I brushed him in a playful mood. Neither his fault.

However, Buddy breaking my skin was unprovoked and was just him mad at me because he wasn't getting his way.

I just don't get what's wrong with this cat. He's been like this sense day one, and neither Lady or Milo have EVER been this horrible. We love Buddy.. but we just don't know what to do. We're at a fork in the road.
[notify]

Blade- (2000-2010)

BE RESPONSIBLE,- SPAY AND NEUTER!

Purred: Tue Mar 28, '06 5:48am PST 
I think Buddy sounds like a fun little guy!! He's supposed to do these things HE'S A KITTEN that's what kittens do - misbehave!! He won't be a kitten for very long though, I'm sure he'll calm down in just a few months.....
Keep the toilet door shut so he doesn't go and drown himself and you could always shut him out of the kitchen while you are cooking. My mum sometimes has to shut me out the kitchen so I don't fry myself! I sued to climb all over everything when I was younger but don't really do it any more.
I bet you'll miss his kittenish ways when he's quietened down!
[notify]

Buddy

Purred: Tue Mar 28, '06 5:51am PST 
Blade --
I guess we were posting at the same time, LOL!

Yeah, I know it could be the kitten in him.. but Milo was a trouble-maker, but NEVER this bad. He never bit us when he was mad. (And that's what Buddy does. If you hold him when he doesn't want to be held, he bites you.)

We all worry this is the way he really is.. We've had a lot of cats, but none this bad. Expect for Mama when we first got her.. she was pretty mean. But she was also a feral cat.
[notify]

Blade- (2000-2010)

BE RESPONSIBLE,- SPAY AND NEUTER!

Purred: Tue Mar 28, '06 6:15am PST 
I've got a bit if a biting problem too! I was taken away from my natural mother too early so I never learnt not to bite. Do you know if Buddy was taken away from his mother too soon?
If he bites you though, and he's gripping on, try to gently push whatever part of you he's biting into his mouth and he should let go! If you end up bonking him on the head, he'll end up losing his trust in you. I know this sort of behaviour is frustrating to deal with but I'm sure he'll grow out of it.
If you take him back to the humane society, who knows what will become of him.....Please persevere with Buddy, I'm sure you won't regret it .
[notify]

Fluffy

I'm worth it.

Purred: Tue Mar 28, '06 7:01am PST 
Please don't give up on Buddy. Believe me, he's pretty much behaving normally for a kitten his age. When I was his age, I was similar. Things became pretty intense around 6 months for me. Mom got me neutered then, at the vet's recommendation, and although I am still lots of fun, a lot of my more aggressive behavior has stopped. Hang in there, Buddy! Just don't bite so hard!!
[notify]

Buddy

Purred: Tue Mar 28, '06 3:02pm PST 
Blade,
I'm not sure. We didn't meet him until he was six months old. We definitely don't want to give up on Buddy, we all fear that one day he may be too rough with biting us.

Fluffy,
Yeah, at the current time.. we're blaiming him being a kitten. But, he hasn't gotten any better, and it's got to the point where no one even wants to go near him. (Although, we do still)

Is there any way to dismiss the behaviour, even if it's him being a kitten?
[notify]

Quasar -- In Loving- Memory

Triblet

Purred: Tue Mar 28, '06 8:01pm PST 
I was a tribble too and he sounds bored to me! We cats make our own fun if we are bored. DO you have a ton of fun cat things to climb on? And tons of toys to play with? What about time with mom that is designated play time? Maybe mom should set aside 15-30 minutes 2-3 times a day to wear you out since you seem like such an active kitty! My sister nova has a bit of a nipping problem too. Mom and dad are very clear about yelping and letting her know it hurts when she does it and then giving her no attention at all for at least 20 minutes. No attention is WORSE than negative attention for us kitties.

Oh and if the spray bottle stopped working (it did for us too) try compressed air like you would use to clean out a computer. We HATE that sound!! Just seeing it lets us know we're not supposed to be somewhere!
[notify]

Jordan

Devilish- Darling!

Purred: Tue Mar 28, '06 8:03pm PST 
I am sorry if I offend but I find Buddy to have such a character, I just love cats like this as they are very independant with lots of charm and can I say they can be easy to train too but you must take the time to train him.

PLEASE stop for a moment and remember that Buddy is ONLY a kitten, his just a baby and the world is still all very new to him. What his doing is no naughty to him, he means no harm at all.

I think with the egg moment you could take a golden oppertunity with that and teach Buddy to get down off the bench.
Each time he gets on the bench put him down in onto the floor and use clear words, saying GET DOWN, you are going to need to do this time and time again but he will learn. If his a good boy then tell him how good he is and reward him for it.

Do not expect him to stay out of a room unsupervised as he has no idea that his not allowed in a room. Shut the room to keep him out of there.

I guess most of all, every time Buddy does something good then you must reward him and encourage the good.

Give him time and be patient with him, he will soon grow through his kittenish moment and you will soon wonder what happened to his playful naughty ways.

All the best
[notify]

☆Zoril- la☆

When in- Doubt...PURR!

Purred: Tue Mar 28, '06 8:59pm PST 
Buddy sounds just like me!

Mom was at her wit's end with me for awhile there. I'm 12 days from being 1 years old so have gotten a little better.
Biting, scratching, jumping, running amok are all things I did(and still do, but less).
Some things mom did to help were:
-ignore me, or yell NO and clap her hands
-give me other things to play with
-CLOSE doors to places I wasn't supposed to be
-Put me in my crate or the bathroom for a "time out"
-pull out the vaccum cleaner, eek! Water doesn't bother me either, but that noisy machine sure does. Mom doesn't even have to turn it on, just open the closet where it stays and I calm down.
-She just ordered a LARGE crate(sized for BIG dogs) that she's going to use as a "play pen" for me. She's going to put some of my toys, blankets and dolls in it and is hoping it keeps me out of trouble.

Please don't take Buddy back to the shelter. The older cats are, the less likely they are to be adopted out. Plus if he gets labeled a "bad kitty" no one will want him. he's just active, it's up to you to focus his energy elsewhere. Good luck.
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2