GO!

Chewing on cords, cardboard, etc

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

In Memory of- Sam,- 2003-2006

Just looks like- a Sam

Purred: Sun Mar 26, '06 6:53am PST 
Hi! I love my Sam to death but he has this thing for chewing on cords/wires and cardboard. First I'm concerned for his safety. He has chewed through 2 cords that were plugged in and thankfully he didn't get shocked. I have blocked access to the other cords using cardboard (it's the only thing that will stand up). Well, he chews and shreds that! I have used Bitter Apple to spray, but he is still attracted to these spots. I once heard that dogs are attracted to the high-pitched sound coming from electricity in cords and that's why they chew on them. Could that be the same for my Sam? Any suggestions on how to keep him from returning and chewing up my stuff?! Thanks!!!!
[notify]

♫Lucy&- #9835;- 1998-2012

Don't bother- me, I'm- sleeping

Purred: Mon Mar 27, '06 9:34pm PST 
There's a lot of reasons for chewing on cords/cardboard.

1. Does Sam have enough cat toys to chew on? If he's bored he will start to chew on things to entertain himself. When he's chewing, distract him with a ball of string or something more fun.

2. Cardboard, cats LOVE cardboard, it would be a good idea to find something else to block the cords. We've used books, bags, chairs, throw rugs, and the vacuum cleaner to keep Zory from chewing cords. The vacuum was the most successful.
[notify]

In Memory of- Sam,- 2003-2006

Just looks like- a Sam

Purred: Tue Mar 28, '06 1:25pm PST 
Thank you for your suggestions! I will try them smile
[notify]