GO!

Countertop lover!

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Elliott- Chaucer

If it's atop the- fridge, I can- get it!

Purred: Wed Jul 6, '05 4:16pm PST 
Elliott loves to walk on all surfaces: the counters, mantle, the kitchen table! I have tried to get him down, sprayed him, but he seems to enjoy it. It's cute and everything, but it leaves hair and little dirty paw printsall over the place! Any words of wisdom are appreciated. I've heard overturned car mats and tape, but what are the best ways to execute these? Help!
[notify]

Sophie

Her highness,- the Great White- Death.

Purred: Sat Jul 9, '05 8:28pm PST 
I have never been particularly persistent in the counter-top thing. Squirt guns worked well in training with me. Have you tried getting a squirt gun with a little more spraying power?
--I know that might sound terrible, but it doesn't hurt, I swear!

Another thing you might try is clapping your hands loudly when you shoo them down. When Mommy does this me and my sister scatter because we don't like loud noises at all.
[notify]

Elliott- Chaucer

If it's atop the- fridge, I can- get it!

Purred: Mon Jul 11, '05 8:13am PST 
Elliott knows he's not supposed to do it. When I clap, he crouches then takes his time getting off. And because I am not home during the week (summer internship) and his babysitter isn't 24/7, I'm sure he's all over the place!
The water bottle I use has a mist and a squirt setting, and I have drenched him from head to toe. But then it's up on the counter again. He gets off to satisfy me for a bit, then hops right back up. Sometimes the kitchen is a hazardous zone of wet floors! But the mention of clapping reminds me of a mechanism I saw for a dog. Some friends of mine are gone all day and have this box they put on their formal couch. It beeps loudly if it's moved or senses motion to keep the puppy off the couch while they're away. I can't find this anywhere. Anyone heard of it?
Thanks for the advice, Sophie. What a pretty kitty you are!
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Purred: Mon Jul 11, '05 10:55am PST 
If you go to www.futurepets.com there are two products: Click on the "cat head" icon - StayAway is the one I think you are thinking of. Another deterrent to kitties who "like to dance on countertops" is "Scat Mat". Perhaps the Scat Mat would work better? You put it over the area you don't want your kitty to jump/lay/walk and he quickly learns that it doesn't "feel" good to touch that area. I think StayAway would scare the heck outta kitties because of the noise it makes (their hearing is very sensitive). Personally, I made a "compromise" with Seamus - he has his own space in my kitchen (on top of the dryer on his towel). He does stray occasionally but all I have to do is loudly tell him "NO" and he skitters back to his towel. He likes to lay on his towel and watch me make dinner and wash dishes. But I know that when I go to bed some nights he's "naughty" and has been tip-toeing on my counter - I find stray black hairs. That's the price of living with a cat!
[notify]

Roxanne- (kitty- heaven)

Jacques' one and- only

Purred: Mon Jul 11, '05 8:35pm PST 
Hehehehehe....Zoe and Miranda are gonna be soooo ticked off that Mommy found this. Of course, I was very good and NEVER got on the counters.
[notify]

Jacques

Fiend #2.

Purred: Wed Jul 13, '05 3:21am PST 
Really, Roxanne, dear Angelkit? Oooh...Really!

I hate to say this, but we had a husband/wife vet team...very good, trained at Cornell Cat School or something.
Anyway, Husband Vet said Wife Vet let the cats go everywhere and there was nothing he could say to her about it!
So, we agree to some extent that this is the price of living with a cat. Just don't let company see it.

In our house, however, we like to be on the counter to watch food prep, but all it takes is The Look With The Eyebrows from the cat mother and we scoot.
[notify]

Cat-Six

Little Weirdo

Purred: Mon Jul 18, '05 6:46pm PST 
My humans found some sticky tape stuff they put on the counters. It is sticky on both sides and it is clear so i can't see where they put it, and I can't tell when they take it off. It feels yucky on my feet and I hate it! And it keeps me off the counters even when they are not home. Of course, its annoying for them to set bowls and such on it, but that was only for a little while until they took it off. They don't want to put it on their fancy new kitchen table though, so I have been exploring that. I know I am not supposed to, but sometimes they leave interesting stuff up there and I can't help myself!
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Purred: Mon Jul 18, '05 9:36pm PST 
Well Cat-Six, you better hope your mom doesn't read about the "Scat Mat" (see my posting above). It can be placed anywhere - on counters, tables, floors, wherever you're trying to stop kitty from tip-toeing on a surface...It operates on batteries and gives a mild electric shock if kitty steps on it. Meowww!
[notify]

Cat-Six

Little Weirdo

Purred: Thu Jul 21, '05 7:58am PST 
But Seamus, I am pretty smart. I might just learn to avoid the mat, and then when they take the mat off the table I will know it is safe to go up there again. Still, those humans are pretty determined, so they might just give it a try. I must confess that I have been rather naughty lately. I have been reprogramming all the computers. And last night dad caught me chewing on a DC power adapter cord. And then there was a really loud bang and dad says something called a surge strip blew. But there was a big storm at the time so it might not be my fault. But it scared me plenty anyway. Now the humans have gone around the house and re-hidden all the cords they could find so I can't get at them. I hadn't chewed on them for many months, but something crazy has gotten into me this week! Good thing I only like the skinny little DC ones and not the actual big power cables.
[notify]

Aramis

Hey, I'm BIG- lookit me!

Purred: Thu Jul 21, '05 2:59pm PST 
Scat Mat doesn't work - we tried it and our mom checked it on herself to make sure it wouldn't really hurt, just surprise us. But it can't cover the entire counter and we just learned what it looked like and jumped to where it wasn't
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2