GO!

I wont let my parents sleep!

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3  
Peanutbutter

peanutbutter and- fluff

Purred: Tue Feb 14, '06 12:13pm PST 
My maine-coon peanut loves to play with his parents, unfortunately he loves to at 3am! Does anyone have same problem? Any idea how to get him to relax at night? He is a male 1year old, also he loves to turn door knobs and paw at shut doors so closing bedroom door is no help.
[notify]

Bogdan

The Most Trusted- Name in Mews.

Purred: Tue Feb 14, '06 12:55pm PST 
When I was younger, I used to do the same. What my Mom did was play with me for 20 minutes before bedtime. We'd run all over the house, playing hide'n'seek or chasing a mouse toy or that grasshopper cardboard toy. That would wear me out, and I'd let her be so she could get a few more hours of sleep.... until about 7 a.m., when it was time to play again!
[notify]

Quasar -- In Loving- Memory

Triblet

Purred: Tue Feb 14, '06 1:03pm PST 
Let this be your mantra "pounce, eat, groom, sleep". It is the kitty cycle of life and repeats over and over again during the day. Figure out what timing cycle you are on and get the parents to play and feed at times so you will be ready to sleep when they are! For us, this is about 1 hours before parents sleep, though we are ready to eat about 3 hours before!
[notify]

uni- (ooo-knee)

bengal beauty

Purred: Tue Feb 14, '06 7:15pm PST 
i would never let my parents sleep and i demand at least an hour of play and fetch before bed. i am very demanding and very noisy. mom had to build me an outdoor enclosed cattery that i just love to sleep in at night. it was the only solution or else dad said i had to go. i live in southern calif. so the weather isn't a problem being outside. good luck.
[notify]

Benjamin

Make way for- me!

Purred: Tue Feb 14, '06 7:20pm PST 
Maybe now that you're older, Uni, you could try sleeping inside. Don't you get lonely?
I kept Mom & Dad up a lot at night, too for a while. Lately, I've been sleeping pretty much all night long- at the foot of the bed. Right between their feet. So they have to be careful when they roll over. So they have to wake up a bit anyway so they don't kick me. While I stay asleep with a smile on my face!
Hehe!
[notify]

Squeakers- (Gone Too- Soon)

Furever my love

Purred: Tue Feb 14, '06 7:46pm PST 
When I was younger I tormented my Mommy too. I banged doors, pulled emergency cords, knocked stuff off counters and dressers. . .I did it all! I irritated her so much that, two years ago, when her friend Jen was out of town, Mommy slept in Jen's apartment!!!! I've chilled out a lot since then. Plus I'm older, wiser and fatter.
Mommy helps me too. She feeds me later and plays with me a little bit before she goes to bed. Although I don't need an hour of active play. One or two 10 minute intervals will do just fine.
[notify]

Amber- (1997-2011)

Purred: Tue Feb 14, '06 9:25pm PST 
Believe or not,before I was the classy gal I am today,I was,as mom described me"A big bouncy hyper ball of fur".
Though,when I got older,I calmed down.
Mom said she had to play with me almost non-stop for about an hour before she went to sleep.
So thats our suggestion too,play with you're momma or dad for at least 30 minutes and wear you out.
[notify]

Maxwell

From Now On,- You'll Do as I- Say

Purred: Wed Feb 15, '06 4:52pm PST 
I agree - maximizing playtime right before you wants to sleep will indeed help you.

Mommy also gives me a light snack (1/8-1/4 c. kibble) as the last thing she does before turning out the light. Eating even this little bit means that my appetite is usually satisfied until much later in the morning, so I don't wake Mommy and Daddy.

Also, repeatedly waking up the humans is a LEARNED behavior, repeated because it yields positive results. So if you get up and feed your kitty when they wake you up at 4:30, you are only reinforcing the behavior by rewarding him or her with food.

To change this behavior rquires strong will on your part - DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES give in to your cat by playing with them or feeding them when they wake you up early. Ignore them. Buy earplugs and an eyemask. Put them outside the bedroom. Confine them in the bathroom. Do whatever you have to do to deprive them of any positive feeback for this negative behavior.

*Important note* Expect and plan for an "extinction burst" - where the behavior will get worse and more insistent as your cat gets frusterated and tries to MAKE you give in and get up and play or feed him or her. This worsening occurs right before the kitty finally "gets it" that no amount of bugging you will wake you up - so absolutely do not give up and give in during this worsening!! It's NOT a sign that your cat will never get it - quite the opposite, it is the most important sign that your cat is figuring your new behavior rules out and doesn't like them. The worsening of behavior WILL go away soon after!

Good luck!
Maxwell
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Purred: Thu Feb 16, '06 5:09am PST 
I'm pretty much quiet and settled down at night, but if I get hungry by golly my mom is going to get up and feed me!! Or else!
[notify]

Benjamin

Make way for- me!

Purred: Thu Feb 16, '06 7:19am PST 
I agree completely with Maxwell. Never stopped to think about it, but my parents ignored me when I tried to wake them up. They just rolled over and went back to sleep, or sometimes Dad put me in the hall and firmly shut the door. Guess they have good cat-parenting instincts???
BTW- Maxwell is right, I got a lot worse before I got better! Just be patient!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 3: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  3