GO!

Leash walking

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2  
Erland

Big McLargeHuge

Purred: Thu Aug 4, '05 3:53pm PST 
That is just Fabu advice to leave the leash out for a few days. I personally am *terrified* of that danged harness, but Mom thinks I would loooove to go for walks. Now she has new ammo! I might have to track you all down and tickle your tummies til you regret giving her ideas!
Grumpy,
Erland
[notify]

Aragorn

Mommy's Handsome- Boy

Purred: Thu Aug 4, '05 7:40pm PST 
Update: Mom took me to PetsMart the other night on my leash and I did great! She only put me on it once around the apartment! I am a very fast learner. PetsMart was fun, and since Mom said I have to wear my leash to go there, I think it is worth it.
[notify]

Jackson

meow

Purred: Thu Aug 4, '05 8:39pm PST 
My sister Sierra and I both walk on leashes - well, actually we explore the yard and our mom follows us and keeps us out of trouble! If she needs us to go with her - she will tug gently on the leash - but if we don't "listen" she picks us up and carries us to where she wants us. The rest of the cats in the household just couldn't get used to it - Dusty crawled around on his belly and refused to walk -- he acted like he was being tortured! Use a harness for outside, as a cat can slip out of a collar by backing up and scrunching down their head. I don't leave the harnesses on indoors unless supervised - as they migh get caught on something, or get their foot caught in the harness. You already got some good advise from previous posters.
Good luck - let us know how it goes!
[notify]

Erland

Big McLargeHuge

Purred: Thu Aug 11, '05 10:09pm PST 
I am in Day Three of the harness and leash being out on my favorite rug. Mom and DAd seem to get quite a kick out of this. I don't understand.
It just sits there, taunting me...

So I dominate it! I lie down on it and rub it and mark it and make it my own.
Mom even caught me *licking* it! Howww embarrassing!

She says soon we will see how I do with it being ON me.
I wonder what that means? She's going to drape it on me?? How silly.
[notify]

Erland

Big McLargeHuge

Purred: Sun Aug 14, '05 12:22pm PST 
This morning, my mom put the harness over my head! She didn't strap me in, but she did sit with me and give me sooo many treats! Especially if I walked over to her to get them!
Mom says the harness is too small, and it makes her sad because she got a small dog harness.... I know, I know... I AM A LARGE DOG, not a SMALL DOG! Sheez, woman...

LAter after she took it off, she found me lying on my rug trying to get my head back in so I could collect more treats... Well really I was just marking it and all, but it sure LOOKED like I was trying to get my head through!
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 15)  
1  2