GO!

Leash walking

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Aragorn

Mommy's Handsome- Boy

Purred: Sun Jun 26, '05 1:46pm PST 
I want to teach my kitten Aragorn how to walk on a leash, but I'm not sure exactly how to do that. Is a harness better, or just a regular collar? Also, if I use a harness for walks, do I still use a regular collar normally? Any advice would be great. Thanks.
[notify]

Selket

Fiend #1.

Purred: Sun Jun 26, '05 2:36pm PST 
Hi Little Aragorn! There is a big discussion on leashes and harnesses under the Health topic. It is really not hard to learn, if your humans are patient and if you like it. You ought to have a harness and not attach a leash to your regular collar. Safer and won't hurt your neck! It may be hard to find a really small harness...you may have to wait! But a good way to start is to wear a collar to get used to it, then if you get a harness, wear it around the house for a bit every day. Then the human will add the leash and see how you feel about that. Check out that other thread, but if you need more, come back here and there are lots of kitties who can help!
[notify]

Felica 1988 - 2007

Lady Fee, our- little angel

Purred: Sun Jun 26, '05 5:17pm PST 
Hi Aragorn,
I have heard that humans can introduce their kitties to the lease and harness by leaving it out for a few days for them to sniff and get used to. Once they are comfortable with the way it smells and looks you can try rubbing /scratching them with it, or playing with them...just get them used to it VERY slowly before putting it on.
As for the actual walking, I'm not sure how to do that. I know there are some expert kitties among us, tho!
Good luck...
[notify]

Aragorn

Mommy's Handsome- Boy

Purred: Sun Jun 26, '05 6:13pm PST 
Thanks for all the great advice!
[notify]

KIRBY-IN- LOVING- MEMORY

I AM KING KIRBY

Purred: Mon Jun 27, '05 1:56am PST 
I feel for you! I'm terrified to have ANYTHING slipped over my head...no way am I letting Mommy leash train me!
(Mommy's note: Yes, WAY!) Lol! I'm going to attempt it, Kirby's great about getting into the carrier, but no way can I put a harness on him...he had some sort of mishap at the shelter b4 I got him...traumatized him. Kody's just plain terrified of the carrier AND harness! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated & I'll share any triumphs we may have or wee bits of (hopefully) progress at least! Lol! Good Luck to YOU!
[notify]

Toffee

If all else- fails, eat it.

Purred: Mon Jun 27, '05 12:08pm PST 
Leashes are bad. My freedom will be destroyed! *runs into a wall*
[notify]

Jacques

Fiend #2.

Purred: Mon Jun 27, '05 6:23pm PST 
Great points, Felica! Your ideas should be implemented before getting into sister Selket's phase!
Guys, it's not Hard!
So now, you have smelled and touched and played with the dreaded new things. Then do what Selket said: get used to having them put on; walk around the house with the gear. A bit every day. It's usually when the leash gets added that cats Stop. So, add the leash, let the kitty walk around with it dragging, or play with it while it's on. Do this every day or more than once a day. (You're not out of the house, yet, okay?) Humans--give lots of praise!! When you act like you are familiar with all this stuff on, the human will take the end of the leash and see if you care to wander around with them. Wow. Not too bad, huh? (You're still not outside yet.) Keep repeating, as above. Eventually you and your human should be able to walk around your house. When going outdoors for the first time, go in the yard, or a quiet place. Starting on streets is not good. Repeat, repeat, repeat. And let us, ME and Selket, know how you do!!
[uh, did I get this right, those of you who are leash-walkers?]
[notify]

Bruce Lee

I'm all about- the belly rubs.

Purred: Tue Jul 19, '05 10:36am PST 
Aragon,

I agree with what the others said about leaving the harness and leash out for a few days. I always have to sniff and rub against things before I feel comfortable with it. My parents eventually put just the harness on me for a few minutes and then distracted me with my favorite toy and treats. After doing this for a week or so, they attached the leash onto the harness, again distracting me with toys and treats. We tried walking around the house for a few minutes, and now I go for walks everyday with dad. Please feel free to email me if you have any questions!
[notify]

Phil

I don't like the- drugs but the- drugs ...

Purred: Tue Jul 19, '05 7:25pm PST 
I hate leashes...until I go outside! You can't walk me like a dog, so instead my owner just follows me around while I explore.
[notify]

Jacques

Fiend #2.

Purred: Tue Jul 19, '05 10:58pm PST 
Phil...
you're too cool for leash school!

--the fiends
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2