GO!

Belle is out of control

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

Belle

International- Wonder Kitten

Purred: Wed Oct 26, '05 8:51pm PST 
This is Belle’s mum. I’m not really sure what I can do with her, she is so naughty. We used to live in the very remote countryside surrounded by mountains and paddy fields, so Belle could basically run around as she pleased and do what she liked. The area was safe so I used to leave a small window open for her to come and go as she pleased. Now I’ve moved to the city and live in a very small apartment, so I’ve decided to send Belle to the UK to live with my parents where she will have a better quality of life. She isn’t going til Christmas though, and I don’t know what to do til then. Every night she howls to be let in and out several times. I have to let her in and out because the walls are paper thin and she wakes my neighbours, who could complain to my landlord (I’m not supposed to keep pets.) I have been letting her out when she wants to keep her quiet and get some sleep (the back door is by my bed). But, last night I heard an almighty crashing noise and Belle was hurling herself at my neighbour’s door (also the bedroom) which is covered with mosquito netting and climbing up it, making a really loud rattling noise. I managed to coax her back in (at 4am in the rain) and had to lock her in my apartment, which resulted in more howling and shredding of my paper shoji doors. I haven’t slept properly for so long and I’m afraid that before Christmas the neighbours may kill her or get me chucked out. Any tips on how to make an unruly cat sleep through the night or to not vandalise neighbours’ property waking them up at 4am?? I’m at my wits end!
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Purred: Wed Oct 26, '05 9:25pm PST 
Do you play with her much? I would suggest getting some irresistible toys and, right before bedtime, play with her until she is ready to collapse. If you really tire her out, she may be able to sleep through the night. Just be warned that, as this routine causes her to become more physically fit, it will take more and more effort on your part to wear her out.
[notify]

Belle

Purred: Wed Oct 26, '05 11:22pm PST 
That cat has more things than I do! She’s got sacks off toys and she loves to play but nothing wears her out. She is outside all day until I get home from work, which is about 8pm-9pm, which I had thought should make her sleep all night. But, the little devil naps til around 3am then starts her naughtiness. 3am-6am seems to be her favourite time…
[notify]

Bell

Here comes- trouble!

Purred: Thu Oct 27, '05 5:48am PST 
From one Bell to another....
We cats are remarkably adaptable - three of us four were all "outdoor" cats until a year ago - now we are all kept inside and very rarely ask to go out. But...since you don't have much time to get Belle used to the idea of staying inside...

I agree that playing with her is a good idea. It's not just having the toys there - you have to get down on the floor with her and really get her tired. Feather wands, anything that moves, catnip toys (catnip is great for putting us kitties to sleep - first we get all wound up and then we konk out). Also give her a good feeding right before bed in case she's wanting to go out to catch a snack.

Also, is she spayed (I didn't check her profile...)? She might be making a racket and wanting to go out so much because she's in heat. Unspayed cats are ALWAYS in heat it seems.

Hope some of this helps. Good luck!
[notify]

Belle

Purred: Fri Oct 28, '05 12:33am PST 
Belle is spayed, I got her done at 6months, as soon as she was old enough, I don’t want my baby girl mixing with Toms! wink She is also completely mental. The vet says he’s never seen such a tear-away female cat before. My boyfriend despairs because she is completely wild and says I’m a bad mummy! frown The trouble is, because she is out all day, she falls asleep as soon as I get home, then she sleeps through till 3.30am almost to the minute. If I keep her awake by trying to play with her she gets really grouchy! I like the idea of drugging her with catnip.. but she doesn’t seem to be affected by it. I try again though!
[notify]

Diego

I'm bringing- sexy back

Purred: Fri Oct 28, '05 11:57am PST 
Hello Beautiful Belle. I dont' know if this will help you but this is how my mom tries to handle a similar situation. I am allowed outside to the backyard when mom is home and it is not dark, usually an hour or two after she gets home from work. In the winter months it gets dark about 5:00 so I don't get to go out when mom gets home. There is always an adjustment period for me where I will sit and cry and paw at the door. Everytime I do this my mom will pick up our fun laser pointer and run me around the house. I have never had a toy so fun before. It looks like a red bug that moves really fast. Anyway, after a couple of weeks I forget about going out and just want to play. I have lots of toys but this is my absolute favorite and I get tons of exercise. Good luck Belle.
[notify]

Bailey

The Mayor

Purred: Fri Oct 28, '05 10:05pm PST 
I agree with you Belle. Im sure it might just take a little bit of time for Belle to get used of staying inside. If you dont let her out at all and keep her in all the time, she has to get used of it. Im sure the meowing will start to slow down after a few days. Id give that a try.
Especially being in a city can be pretty dangerous. Good luck!! Let us know what happens.
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Purred: Sat Oct 29, '05 8:42am PST 
It's not enough to have to toys there. You need to get down on the floor with her and get her running around until she tries to lie down and rest. Then, pick her up and set her back on her feet and make her play some more.

After you get home, don't let her sleep until you are ready to go to bed yourself. She'll get cranky, but that's okay. By the time she finally gets to sleep, she should be tired enough to sleep through the night.
[notify]