GO!

Getting another cat

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2  
Snickers

Queen of the- house

Purred: Tue Oct 18, '05 9:34am PST 
Well, I have thought about it and I still don't like that Flik. He tries to eat my food! Mommy and Daddy make him stop, I appreciate their support on that. He also jumped towards me earlir and it scared me, so I hissed. Mommy is worried that, even though it takes time, that I will never like Flik and that he will have to go away. I don't know how I feel about that, but I don't like him now frown
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Purred: Tue Oct 18, '05 6:16pm PST 
If you give it a little more time, I bet he'll start to grow on you. It can take a month or more to get used to a new cat. It will probably go more quickly for you because he's so little. You just need to keep hissing at him to help him figure out who's the boss!
[notify]

Snickers

Queen of the- house

Purred: Tue Oct 18, '05 6:51pm PST 
Well, I hissed and hissed, but the little bugger kept coming up to me, trying to be cute and friendly. So, I swatted at him, then he swatted back! Afterwards, my mommy and daddy put him back in his room for the time being so we wouldn't be upset for long. He roamed the house again while I spent time with mommy, so maybe tomorrow he will respect my authority.
[notify]

Peggy

Princess

Purred: Wed Oct 19, '05 7:53am PST 
Snikers, what my mommy did was just let us be. If I would get annoyed I would let Spike know who is boss. If you put them together just ignore them and let them get aquainted. As for feeding time, I would try to feed them in different places for a while until they are comfortable with each other. Even now, Spike has a bad habit of eating whatever food I leave in my dish.
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Purred: Wed Oct 19, '05 8:54am PST 
Well, Peggy, boy kitties are just pigs! I like to have a nice leisurely breakfast but Alex always tries to push me out of the way and steal my food before I can finish it.

As long as the hissing and growling doesn't progress beyond the occasional slap, there's no reason for humans to intervene. It's scary for humans to watch this, but this is how we kitties learn to get along and it's completely instinctive for us.
[notify]

Snickers

Queen of the- house

Purred: Wed Oct 19, '05 9:12am PST 
I agree and that is what I try to tell my mommy, but she doesn't want me or Flik to be any more upset than we are. She's also worried that the tension is making Flik throw up. Even though his food and water is in a completely different room than mine (which he knows, I saw the little pig eating out of it), he still tries to get mine. I think it's because he is so small (only 1 lb. 12 oz!) and he wants to be big and strong like me smile
[notify]

Other posts by this user

Purred: Wed Oct 19, '05 11:05am PST 
Snickers, what kind of food is he eating? He's so tiny and he may be throwing up because his digestive system hasn't developed enough for the food he is trying to eat.
[notify]

Snickers

Queen of the- house

Purred: Wed Oct 19, '05 11:52am PST 
He's eating the food the petstore people recommended, Eukanuba kitten food. They got a small bag and plan to give him the science diet the vet gave us when he is done with it, in a few days. Sometimes brown liquid comes out when he sneezes too, maybe he has an infection?
[notify]

Peggy

Princess

Purred: Thu Oct 20, '05 10:02am PST 
I think that a trip to the vet is in order. Remember also not to just suddenly switch foods on him it will upset his stomach. Gradually introduce the new food you plan on feeding him for a long time so that he gets used to it. I know that an abrupt change in my food, upsets my stomach so when mommy changes food (not often except now that I have to eat a low allergen food for the problems I'm having) she will slowly introduce a little of the new food.
[notify]

Snickers

Queen of the- house

Purred: Mon Oct 24, '05 8:04am PST 
I'm happy to report that Flik is doing better. He stopped throwing up after a day and we are now much better friends. We still swat at each other, but now we can sleep together and yesterday I gave him a bath! He was very dirty and he cleaned my face afterwards. I am still not 100% happy my parents brought him home, but I think in time we will be good friends. Thank you everyone for helping us through this!
[notify]

(Page 2 of 2: Viewing entries 11 to 20)  
1  2