GO!

Getting another cat

This is a place to gain some understanding of cat behavior and to assist people in training their cats and dealing with common behavior problems, regardless of the method(s) used. Keep in mind that you may be receiving advice from other cat owners and lovers...not professionals. If you have a major problem, always seek the advice of a trainer or behaviorist!

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2  
Snickers

Queen of the- house

Purred: Sun Oct 16, '05 8:40am PST 
Hi everyone,
We have had Snickers (who is 2) for about a year now and we are thinking of adopting a 9 week old kitten. Does anyone see any issues with this or have any advice? The kittens seem to be in bad conditions and we really want to help them, but not if it is going to cause trouble with Snickers as we don't want her or a new cat to be unhappy. Thank you!
[notify]

Fluffy

Did I pee on- this yet?

Purred: Sun Oct 16, '05 10:14am PST 
We have 7 cats, and they've pretty much been okay with each other as long as they don't socialize!
Snickers will surely have some jealousy so just spend extra time with her.
[notify]

Xavier

I am carnivore,- hear me meow

Purred: Sun Oct 16, '05 10:35am PST 
I think it really depends on the cat. I have three now that get along fine. Occasionally there's a hissy spat but nothing serious. They have their pecking order and respect each other's place. However I did foster a cat a few years ago that wouldn't back down to the king of the household, Xavier. He started guarding the litter boxes from her and because she held it more often than not, she kept developing UTIs. I wanted to keep her(she was such a sweetheart!) but I felt it was in her better interest to find her another home.

I think bringing in a kitten is easier than an adult cat that's set in its ways. I'll find out soon enough though... I'm going to be bringing home a 10 week old in a few weeks. Let's hope I'm right!
[notify]

Snickers

Queen of the- house

Purred: Sun Oct 16, '05 3:40pm PST 
Well, we took the plunge and got a 9 week kitten named Flik. He's adorable and seems really happy here so far. Snickers, however, hissed and growled a bit and seems to be avoiding him. This seems to be normal behavior, when he's not around, she's very sweet. I'm hoping that soon she calms down a bit.
[notify]

Peggy

Princess

Purred: Sun Oct 16, '05 5:13pm PST 
Here's a thread that I had pretty much the same questions. Alex helped me through it. Hope it helps!

Adopting and Adapting
[notify]

Snickers

Queen of the- house

Purred: Mon Oct 17, '05 6:12am PST 
Peggy, thanks for the post! My mommy has taken time to read through all of it and everything sounds very similar to what is going on for me. Flik has been shut up in the spare bedroom all night and part of the morning. He was let loose a little earlier this morning and surprised all of us by hopping downstairs. I hissed and growled at him when he got too close (anywhere between 2 ft. and 6 inches) and he just stood there and walked away. The litterbox they got for Flik is too big, so they gave it to me, but I don't like it and won't go to the bathroom. What should I do?
[notify]

Snickers

Queen of the- house

Purred: Mon Oct 17, '05 6:12am PST 
Also, my mommy feels bad leaving Flik all alone in the bedroom, even though she visits often. I feel bad too, when I hear him meow...is this normal?
[notify]

Peggy

Princess

Purred: Mon Oct 17, '05 7:15am PST 
Snickers, even though your mom feels bad about leaving Flik in the bedroom all alone, this is a necessary step. Remember, my mommy had to keep Spike couped up in a bathroom (much smaller than a bedroom!) for a little over 2 weeks in the HOT weather and it actually really helped with the integration process between him and I. After about a week I wanted to get in to the bathroom and check out this little beast that was taking away my sink drinking marathons. Spike doesn't meow, he squeaks so when mommy would hear this it would break her heart. Just be sure that you spend the same amount of time with both cats so that your existing cat doesn't get jealous. Also you may want to let them smell each other on you.

As far as the litterbox, the only thing I can suggest is that you switch back the boxes and maybe just get another smaller one for Flik. To be honest, I don't know much about litterbox behavior since mommy has been extremely lucky with both of us. We share everything although mommy is having a little problem with Spike. He goes in the litter box (which is a covered one) and pees with his but facing the hole in the box and sprays onto the floor.
[notify]

Snickers

Queen of the- house

Purred: Tue Oct 18, '05 6:47am PST 
I have great news! My mommy took Flik to the vet yesterday (that is the kind of attention I don't want) and he tested negative for feline leukemia. Even though I'm not sure if I like him, I am happy he is not sick. He weighs 1 lb. 12 oz! He's a super tiny! I went into his room a few times when my mommy had the door open (to warm the room up a bit) and I didn't hiss at him like normal. I also got to sleep with my mommy last night and get lots of attention. This morning I got to spend time with my daddy too smile I also tried out my new litter box yesterday, I enjoyed all of the extra space and making everyone happy!
[notify]

Peggy

Princess

Purred: Tue Oct 18, '05 7:48am PST 
I'm so glad everything is working out!
[notify]

(Page 1 of 2: Viewing entries 1 to 10)  
Page Links: 1  2