Close X


Monida's musings


August 29th 2011 3:22 pm
[ View A Comments (34) ]

Hi kitties-

So yesterday Monida ate almost nothing. Finally, on advice from Angel Alex, I boiled a chicken breast and tried feeding it to her. She ate just a few bites. I was starting to get really nervous.

I was able to give her nearly a full dose of her medicine, so I was pretty proud of that. Monida was not quite so happy.

Around 2 a.m., she ate a little kibble, and kept eating a little bit periodically throughout the night so that was good. But she's still pretty lethargic, and while she had just a little bit of diarhhea yesterday, she hasn't really used her litter box since.

Anyway, the reason I'm upset is I spoke to the vet on the phone today and told him all of that information. He hadn't even looked at her xrays from this weekend. He didn't seemed concerned at all, basically saying since she had gained weight over the summer, that this probably wasn't a big deal since she has some she can lose. He said if she's not eating by Thursday to bring her in and they might put a feeding tube in her. I'm not sure why he would wait so long and then jump to something so drastic.

I asked if maybe the medicine was causing her to not eat. He said maybe, and I could stop giving it to her if I wanted, even though I've only given her two doses, and I'm supposed to give it to her for seven days. And he said this without actually looking at her xrays.

I'm not home to see if Monida is eating this afternoon, but I'll check tonight. And I have no plans on waiting until Thursday to bring her back in if she's still lethargic and not eating. She may have weight to lose, but this isn't the right way to do it.

Purred by: Tink the Cat (Catster Member)

August 29th 2011 at 3:27 pm

Time for a second opinion, be sure to have the x-rays transferred since you're paying for them.

You definitely need more attention than that!! Purring BIG TIME for you!!! Luv, Tink
Purred by: Monster (Catster Member)

August 29th 2011 at 3:37 pm

If that's what the vet said to you, it's time to find another vet.
Purred by: ♥Simon♥ (Catster Member)

August 29th 2011 at 3:40 pm

I agree! Time for a second opinion. That doesn't sound right and like you said certainly not a way to lose weight. Sending purrs your way!
Purred by: River (Catster Member)

August 29th 2011 at 3:52 pm

SECOND OPINION BIG TIMES! Get those xrays sent to a different vet who knows how important Monida is. My vet out never ignore me like that, not that my mommy doesn't over react sometimes, but our vet treats every concern with patients and understanding, even if it really is nothing.
Purred by: Lisa P

August 29th 2011 at 4:00 pm

Absolutely call another vet PRONTO! this is such irresponsible and unethical behavior. He's risking her life by doing this. That's such bull poopy! And you are 100% right. This is NOT the way to do it. This is the exact opposite of the right way to do it. GRRRRR I'm fighting mad at this guy.

Seriously horrible and I know for a fact this is not okay. Call someone else. Do you happen to have an all cat clinic near you?
Purred by: Blizzard AKA The Catfather (Catster Member)

August 29th 2011 at 4:11 pm

I agree with all the above posts!! 2nd opinion time, and now. I don't like that vets attitude!!
Purred by: Samoa - Diva Angel (Catster Member)

August 29th 2011 at 4:49 pm

You definitely need a second opinion. Get the xrays transferred over. There may be a blockage that would show up on the xray. And not eating for several days can lead to severe liver problems so you don't want that happening. We're purring for you Monida! Any vet that suggests a feeding tube without having looked at the xrays doesn't deserve your money or business!
Purred by: MILO BLUE EYES DB#73 (Catster Member)

August 29th 2011 at 4:58 pm

Oh Sweet Monida! dat Doc is confused! Maybe efen STOOPID! Try again, please!? They need to check out ALL da tests first 'n then make decision! What is he nuts!? Do it soon! U need to be taken care of now. WE agree wif all da above!

Love 'n many hugs,
Purred by: Stacy T

August 29th 2011 at 5:12 pm

Those vet people say that when we're *bigger* girls (or boys) that we're more at risk to go into fatty liver disease if we go without eating. That is not the way for any kitty to lose weight. How completely irresponsible of your vet to say that (and not even have looked at your x-rays)
Everyone's already said it... Second opinion time.
Purred by: Tigger (Catster Member)

August 29th 2011 at 5:12 pm

This guy sounds like he doesn't even care. Find another vet! We did!
Purred by: Moppie DB 48 (May 2011 - Dec 2 (Catster Member)

August 29th 2011 at 5:23 pm

First was she lethargic and not eating before or has this just started? Second did you talk to the vet or just the receptionist? Was it a different dr then last time?

If you were talking with the vet I fully agree with the others that maybe you should try another vet. It is the dr's responsibility to look at the x-rays, bloodwork, etc. If you do go to another vet make sure you get them to send xrays, bloodwork and all the records over to the vet you go to.

In the mean time do your best to get Monida to eat, warm her food up so that it smells more, make it taste better with flavoring. You can try different things, fish oils, water from a can of tuna, Parmesan cheese... anything that may get her to eat. You can also try syringe feed her wet food, a small amount is okay but do it more often. Although first and foremost the important thing is to get her to drink. Otherwise she'll get dehydrated.

At my vet have never done a feeding tube, that does seem a bit drastic, although we are an emergency not a regular vet... There is usually a reason behind cats not eating.

In pain at all? Is there a possibility she ate something? let it be a string, toy, food, toxin, etc... Any vomiting? Make sure to keep an eye on the litter box because we need to be sure she is doing something in there! We don't want her to be constipated or have a blockage. If there is a string/ non-metal foreign body it will not show up on xrays... If you don't find anything in the litter box then you can start suspecting that there is a blockage, there is already a possibility of a partial blockage with the diarrhea. But you'll likely see vomiting if there is a full blockage.

If she was already acting like this before, it does take time for the medicines to do their job. Take Moppie for instance, it took him a few days to get back to normal.

It actually sounds like we had the same problem. Everything seems to be the same in our case too. He had IV fluids for two nights, although he had a fever as well. He didn't want to eat and didn't eat a lot for a day or two afterwards either. After we got the home meds it took two days for him to get back to his normal self - that is 4 doses of meds. It was also suspected that he had inflammation/infection of his GI tract... He may still be having diarrhea but he is now using the same litter box as Blade so I've has lost track but Moppie defiantly still had diarrhea yesterday.

Sorry this is getting a little long... If you have any questions or want to talk you can pmail me!
Purred by: Moppie DB 48 (May 2011 - Dec 2 (Catster Member)

August 29th 2011 at 5:28 pm

If you are having the same case as Moppie. It MAY be okay. As long as you are eating some and still drinking... please feel free to pmail me. And if you want to see how similar what has been going on with Moppie and Monida is you can catch up on Moppie's diary too. It may be an idea to see if Monida has a fever though...
Purred by: ♥ Tasha ♥ (Catster Member)

August 29th 2011 at 5:36 pm

That is upsetting. We agree with everybody else on getting a second opinion. And like Angel Alex suggested, if you have a cat clinic near you that would be a good place to try.

xoxoxo Tasha
Purred by: Nonny - DG # 10 (Catster Member)

August 29th 2011 at 5:50 pm

I agree with everyone else.
That is no way for a vet to respond to a patient.
Find someone else to take a look at Monida.
Wow, that is just shocking.
Purred by: Zachery Tristan (Catster Member)

August 29th 2011 at 5:58 pm

I will never understand some vets. I think checking out another vet is a good idea. I'll be purring.
Purred by: Luke (Catster Member)

August 29th 2011 at 6:19 pm

We are sorry your vet is not giving you the attention you & Monida deserve. Please consider visiting another vet, we don't like the sound of your current one.
purrs Luke
Purred by: Nikolai - Dreamboat #24 (Catster Member)

August 29th 2011 at 6:20 pm

I vote second opinion. My vet would never say wait until Thursday. I have asked my mom to pawmail you since your symptoms sound a bit like IBD. By mom, I mean Momma Danielle, not Evil Step Momma Amy who really usually helps purr my diary entries.
Purred by: Hannah E

August 29th 2011 at 6:41 pm

when i stopped eating to a respitory virus my mom had to syringe feed canned wet food to me so try that. still purring and yes find another vet.
Purred by: Moppie DB 48 (May 2011 - Dec 2 (Catster Member)

August 29th 2011 at 6:42 pm

Agreeing with Nikolai, Thursday is a LONG ways away. I'd understand waiting till tomorrow - maybe - but Thursday is a long shot. It defiantly doesn't hurt to go to another vet to get her checked out, or to put her on IV fluids for a while. Getting a second opinion is a good idea. Their past advice was good from what you've said in previous diaries, they had mentioned that the meds may take 2 days or so to kick in, etc. But todays advice is not good, they should have looked at xrays, they should be concerned about loosing weight, about not eating, and should not be saying to wait till thursday. Its up to you on what you do next, as only you know the severity of how Monida is feeling. Mom definitely knows what it is like to worry about us when we are sick, we were lucky that our Mom works at the Vet so she just brought me with her to work in case something happened...

We're purring BIG purrs for you!!
Purred by: Tanis (Catster Member)

August 29th 2011 at 6:43 pm

we are purring for you Monida you need to make sure that that X ray has been read and we agree that waiting til thursday is way too long to wait...We don't think it is a good idea to go that long being lathargic and decreased appitite why wait til it gets to the point where a feeding tube is goodness I agree with everyone elese maybe a new Vet might be a good idea...
Love AND purrs,
Purred by: Eva V

August 29th 2011 at 7:35 pm

OMC! This is just so wrong on so many levels.I agree with everyone.I hope there is another vet you can consult.This is definitely not a way to lose weight. That a doctor would say that is just ridiculous. Wait until Thursday? But it's only
Monday. I am shocked.
Love and lots of purrs
Purred by: Mietzi Katze♥ (Catster Member)

August 29th 2011 at 7:48 pm

Dear Monida's Mom,
if cats don't eat enough, they are in danger of getting Fatty Liver Disease. Cat's livers are weird. If they don't get enough protein/food they start storing fat. This is not good. The liver gets inflamed too. Cat's skin will turn yellow eventually. Please google Feline Hepatic Lipidosis.

Monida is in danger of getting this. I don't know how many days it takes to get this disease. I had a cat who had it . That cat stopped eating completely (she's fine now). The feeding tube is so that the cat gets enough protein and the liver stops storing fat. It's actually the only cure for fatty liver disease to give the liver the protein it needs. Humans are different. Humans will do fine with eating little for a while. Cats are different.

I'm not a vet. Please consult another vet fast. you need to find out why she isn't eating and what can be done about it. Is she getting anything against nausea? If she feels yuckery (Lacey came up with that word) then she won't eat.
Sorry that this is so disjointed. Catster is driving me nuts because I had this all typed and it didn't post.
Sending many purrs and prayers for Monida.
Sonja, Mietzi's Mom
Purred by: Toki (Catster Member)

August 29th 2011 at 7:57 pm

I agree with everybody, that vet is being irresponsible and kinda crazy in my opinion. When my mom's kitty before me was sick and not eating, our vet was very concerned especially because she was a "big girl". Like someone above me said, not eating anything puts your liver at risk. In my mom's opinion, liquid meds are harder to give than pills. And very traumatic. My mom felt like she was fighting a losing battle trying to get the full dose of liquid taken. Doyou maybe want to try pills instead? With the pill shooter thing, it's ok. You roll the pill in butter, put it in the tip, and shoot it into her mouth. Then you squirt in some water with a syringe. I know it's much easier said than done, but at least you don't have to squirt in a whole glob of liquid meds- which are always flavored in dumb flavors like cherry or bubblegum. Have u ever seen a cat who likes bubblegum?
Purred by: Dusty the Puppycat *DLM* (Catster Member)

August 29th 2011 at 9:16 pm

I agree with everyone else it's time for a second opinion! Please don't wait too long for this vet to decide to do something for her. Praying she gets better soon.
Purred by: Monida (Catster Member)

August 29th 2011 at 9:20 pm

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for your tips and concern and advice! It means the world to me! I went home for dinner and Monida still had not eaten anything. I will be calling a new vet in the morning for a second opinion.

She looks so sad and miserable. :(
Purred by: Lucy Nooner (Catster Member)

August 29th 2011 at 9:54 pm

Purring for you!
Purred by: ♥ Jezebel RIP ♥ (Catster Member)

August 29th 2011 at 10:12 pm

Yeah, sounds like time for a second opinion to me. Sending lotsa purrs!
Purred by: WeBeesSiameezers (Catster Member)

August 29th 2011 at 10:21 pm

Ditto and ditto, and once again ditto. This vet person sounds like he/she is giving you a brush-off and the royal runaround. Time to run away to another.
We just saw your latest we know you feel the same way.

Purrs in great abundance going your way, Monida.
Purred by: Toby (Catster Member)

August 29th 2011 at 10:37 pm

You know Monida and all of her ways and if your instinct says the problem is serious then you are probably right. We hope that the next vet is much more helpful and are sending our best purrs for Monida and for you as this is such a worrying time for you. Toby and Josie
Purred by: The Pharaoh Loki Mahes (Catster Member)

August 30th 2011 at 3:00 am

PLEASE get her to another vet! We love you Monida and are purring for you.
Purred by: Riley

August 30th 2011 at 6:44 am

I agree, it's time to get another doctor that will give Monida a proper diagnose.
That doctor is rude!!!

Our Purrs are with you, Monida.


Purred by: Skylar db#39A (Catster Member)

August 30th 2011 at 6:46 am

Oh sweetie, we are purring for you. We agree with all of the above. We hope you find a better vet that will pay much better attention to your case. To not eat till Thursday is too long to go without food. Purrs, Skylar
Purred by: Laura W

August 30th 2011 at 7:54 am


we hope by de time ewe reed this yur mom has had ewe to de second vet; her CAN file a complaint knot onlee with de better business bureau but de AVMA as well

if de vet be THAT crazed towards ewe; Lord onlee knows how crazed they be with other kittehs N pups; irregardless itz wrong, irresponsible and bad practice....

pleaz start eatin; pleaz drink plenty oh water; pleaz be well, pleaz noe we asked st francis ta lend a hand az well....

Purred by: alley cat angel (Catster Member)

August 30th 2011 at 9:33 am

Oh so sorrry this has gone on so long and not much help from the VET! that is not right! Maybe you should try to assit feed her tonight IDK if that is ok the vet never suggested to to me I guess cause it was FIP they had given up, but I did it anyway and alley felt so much better after she got some food in her. IN our case FIP could not be treated but the food in her system made her feel better.
Maybe you can try it and maybe you might call a new vet today to see if they can see her this afternoon or tomorrow Early a.m..... so concerned for her.
I remember that sad miserable look.
lots of love purrs and prayer.




(What does RSS do?)