Black Magic Mambo

American Shorthair
Picture of Black Magic Mambo, a male American Shorthair

Photo Comments (1)

Home:Cincinnati, OH  [I have a diary!]  
Age: 11 Years   Sex: Male   Weight: 12 lbs.

Photo Comments (1)

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

   Leave a treat for Black Magic Mambo

Kitty Complexion:
sleepyvery active
not curiousvery curious
not vocalvery vocal

Quick Bio:
-part feral-cat rescue


He likes an occasional pet or cuddle, but only at his invitation. Sometimes likes being brushed.

Doesn't like to be picked up or held. Doesn't like having his nails trimmed.

Favorite Toy:
Doesn't really play with toys much, prefers to play with the other cats; although he does like to stash toys (milk jug rings/little mousies) under a rug by the door.

Favorite Nap Spot:
Up under the bed where he feels safe. Or the upper back of a reclining chair.

Favorite Food:
Whatever the other cats are eating. Cheese. Chicken

He's sort of a gentle giant. Has a soft meow. Asks softly, never demands. Easy & comfortable with the other animals.


Arrival Story:
Magic was part of a feral (wild) group living behind an elementary school. The rescue group that I work with trapped him, along with several other younger kittens that I took in to socialize so they could be adopted. He was about 4 or 5 months old; very scared and aloof, and took a long time to get anywhere near comfortable. Gradually, he has warmed up to us humans, although he's still skittish and sometimes runs away when you approach him, but he's become part of our household, and its unlikely that he'd be adopted - so we've kept him as our very own "mini black panther"!

He's very large, and very jet black - just a magnificent cat! And he's got the longest tail! When he was younger, he adored Chelsea (our older adult cat, since passed on) and followed her around wanting to cuddle up & be close to her. He loved to play with younger SweetPea (another kitty in our household) but she isn't with us anymore. He likes to snooze on the bed near me at night, or next to me on the couch. Because of his age when we got him, he's never gotten as friendly or comfortable as a cat raised with humans - but he's doing pretty good, and he's ours. --> --> --> --> --> --> An interesting note: He started life outdoors, as a stray, feral kitty - but now that he's found how good life is inside where its warm and dry and plenty of food -- he won't step foot outside!!! Says "No way, I don't wanto to go out there again - I've got it really good INSIDE this house!!"

Lives Remaining:
9 of 9

Forums Motto:
Doorbell? Gotta HIDE!!!!!!!!!

The Groups I'm In:
♥Artistic Creations♥, "Just One Litter" Is Still Too Many, Black Cat Society of Catster, feral cats united, Lucky Black Cats, Multiple Cat households!!!, Ohio Cats

I've Been On Catster Since:
December 11th 2004 More than 11 years!

I Was In The:
Catster's 2006 Holiday Picture Party!

2006 Valentine's Day Party!
♥Mom♥ 2005 Mother's Day Stroll!

2005 Valentine's Day Party!

2004-2005 Holiday
Picture Party

Rosette, Star and Special Gift History

Catster Id:

Meet my family
McGee, Lost

Lil' Foxy
Bijou (French
for Jewel)

Meet my Feline Friends
See all my Feline Friends
See all my Feline Friends

Musings from Magic

I helped with Hurricane Katrina Animals

September 23rd 2005 1:31 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

I let my mom be gone for a really looong time; I had to stay at home with all the other kitties, the dog and our dad. She was off helping rescue animals abandoned and left behind in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina. I helped because I was a good kitty while she was gone. ButI sure was happy to see her when she came home!!!

Here's my mom's story:

We spent several days of working/helping with the rescued animals at the Tylertown, Mississippi rescue site/encampment that Best Friends Animal Society has set up there. (About 100 miles north of New Orleans.) It was the most wonderful, miserable, fantastic, awful, incredible week spent with some of the most wonderful, generous, compassionate people -- I'm sure I won't ever be able to forget it.

A friend and I took a u-haul trailer full of donated supplies (a really big thank you to everyone who supported us with donations assistance and/or money - it certainly went to a very good cause.)
Every day, the rescuers (my heroes!) went off into the toxic sludge of New Orleans and each night, they brought in 20, 40, 60 dogs/cats/misc. small pets. Everyone would wake up and gather at the "Ellis Island" area to offload the animals. We would coax them out of their crates, loving and welcoming them even though we were always aware that they may be contaminated from the toxic areas they were rescued from. Some were so scared and traumatized that it just made you cry. Some were emaciated, burned, injured - but a lot of them weren't. They were walked and watered and put back into their crate to await the next day when they could be examined by vets, pictures taken for ID, and grouped into their new temporary pens.

And every day, in horribly hot and humid conditions, amid swarms of bugs, volunteers kept pouring in from all over the country. We fed, watered, walked, poop-scooped, and cared for all the dogs & cats and critters. We cleaned & sanitized mountains of crates so they could be used again for the next day's rescue efforts. We tried to keep from getting heat-stroke by drinking water/Gatorade/juice practically non-stop all day, and hosing each other down with the water hose. (The dogs had to be hosed down a couple times a day - it was just too @#&#@ hot!!!!!) We sorted and organized donated food and supplies. Some of the volunteers prepared sandwiches and sometimes a hot dinner (bless them). The vets and vet-techs worked to vaccinate and micro-chip the animals, and to tend their wounds and illnesses. It was both exhausting and exhilarating.

We cried tears of happiness whenever an animal was reunited with their people. Everyone cheered and teared and took pictures and wished them well - it was the best part of each day!

Then, each night, we'd fall into our sleeping bags and hope to get a few hours of sleep before starting it over again the next day. (It was extremely hard to sleep because of all the barking dogs and nighttime camp activity.) Regardless, my heart is still there with the wonderful volunteers and Best Friends employees who are continuing to take care of those poor, wonderful, and very-lucky-to-be-rescued animals.

PS - I took tons of pictures while I was there - and have them posted at Scroll down to the albums titled "Hurricane Katrina".

(More info available at


I'm one year old now!

April 10th 2005 4:25 pm
[ Leave A Comment ]

They tell me I'm a year old now. I've only been an indoor kitty for about 7 or 8 months; before that I was living out in a field behind a school with some other feral cats. It took quite awhile to get used to the humans and all the noises and everything going on at the house where I live now; but after awhile I figured that I had it so good that I never wanted to go outside ever again!!!!

Although the dog and the other kitties that I live with freuently go out into the backyard, I refused to even step foot out there for the longest time!! I finally did, though, just a few days ago, since I'm a year old now.

See all diary entries for Black Magic Mambo