My Manhattan ChoobahChoobah Ba

Domestic Shorthair
Picture of My Manhattan ChoobahChoobah Ba, a male Domestic Shorthair

Photo Comments

Home:Lindenwold /Cherry Hill/ Cleme, a  
Sex: Male   Weight: 22 lbs.

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

   Leave a treat for My Manhattan ChoobahChoobah Ba

Choobah, Chop, & a million other vaiations

Kitty Complexion:
sleepyvery active
not curiousvery curious
not vocalvery vocal

Sun Sign:
Rainbow Bridge
Quick Bio:
-extra toe(s)

July 27th 1997


He LOVED him some string!

Nothing! Most easy going puss ever.

Favorite Toy:
He was all about the catnip.

Favorite Nap Spot:
With sister Dottie, or brother Leo, but slept with human Mama.

Favorite Food:
Manny was a cat's cat & liked CAT food.

Manny was a most compassionate critter & is still missed by everyone, human & feline in the family.


Arrival Story:
Manny is the prodigal son of Ivee & Chowder. He was conceived around May 24th & being second born of 5 around 11:40 p.m. on July 27, 1997. His brother Delta, a black & white, died at 3 days old, but grew up with brother Leo, pure white & deaf, sister Dottie, also pure white & other sister L.C. a black & white, all were born polydactyls, & even though Dottie was the only 1 born with both front & back poly-paws, Ol' Choob had the most claws, 8 on the left, 7 on the right.

Manny chose me, his human Mama, as favorite, at 17 days old. Although he preferred to be near me, he was a favorite of all of his family & loved to nap with bro' Leo & sis' Dottie. They would blend & meld so well that they'd look like a 2 headed cat when they would snooze. Manny was overtly wonderful in everything he did. He was most smart, most active, a true over achiever in life. We didn't even realize that his bro' Leo was deaf because Manny overcomensated for it by always making sure Leo was brought into the fold to eat or get treats & new toys. Manny purred CRAZY loud, probably so he could comfort Leo & was very verbal. He was a regular gossip & would yell at me to come to bed by coming to me, MEOWing then running to the stairs. He was a clown! After I had to spend 3 weeks in the hospital due to what had been diagnosed as lupus complications a few months later, I had brought home a "get well" balloon & because it had string on it, he took interest in it. It was up in the 2nd floor bedroom with me & was found to be floating around the living room a few days later. Next the baloon was found in the basement. The it returned to the 1st floor living room. I thought I was maybe a bit over medicated, or perhaps losing my darned fool mind, until both my husband & I saw Manny walking down the hall with the balloon string in his mouth & the balloon just a bob-bob-bobbing behind him. He also would take 1 shoe by the string & take it for a walk, much to my husband's dismay, as he would do this often with his work boots to heavens knows where. Manny spent his life caring for all of us, especially Leo & I. When I'd be to ill to do much beside lay down, he'd just lay next to me & purr, LOUDLY & it was odd that he'd seemed to know when I'd have a headache as he would purr at a much lowered volume. Life was good to Manny & Manny was good to others. He helped "new" friends get accustomed, he'd taken to helping Edgrrr come out of his fearsome shell & join the fun. He always greeted human guests, while the rest would scatter, & would even tuck them in if they stayed overnight. Manny was a fine beastie! Manny took ill in the last week of August of 2005. He stopped eating & was HIDING!!! (Not very Choobah like at all.) I feared the worst from the start & took him to the vet & instead of using the more seasoned doctors, I agreed to try a Green" one. She felt that he was blocked up & gave him an enema. I suggested an x-ray & perhaps some blood work, but she scoffed at the suggestion. I figured I was just being a worry wart. I would find Manny hiding in the closet & would drag him to the front room to bask in the sun & be near the food & potties. He didn't eat for a few days & I went & got his favorite: Gerber's Turkey baby food. Much to my surprise, he retched so hard when I offered it. The vet had said he was "resting his stomach" & after a few days, my husband & I would see him at the food bowls, but I would only see him drink a little. My husband thought he saw him eating. This went on for about 3 weeks when I saw that Manny was tumbling over when he'd tried to stand up. I KNEW it was not good & time was ticking down. I called my vet, it was a Friday & explained what was wrong & mentioned that we were broke until my husband's pay day the following Thursday. The secretary, MIND YOU THIS IS A SECRETARY, said that unless I was able to pay for that appointment, Manny would NOT be seen! I was taken aback. I never expected this from a vet that I'd NEVER missed paying promptly. I hung up & fretted. I tried in vain to care for my sweet baby over the weekend by force feeding him with a huge plastic syringe I begged for at my local hospital from the urse I knew to be a feline fanatic, but he just couldn't rally. I keep giving him water with an eye dropper every hour, even setting an alarm to make sure I did not miss the next forcing to keep him hydrated. By Monday morning, Manny could not stand up. He was dying right before me. I waited until the vet opened & went there to speak to my favored & most seasoned vet to ask if there was any way we could work things out financially, as I HAD to help Manny. I was told that I most assuredly could do so & when I explained what the secretary had told me & how disgusted I was. I was sent home to bring him in right away. I had no need for the carrier & he'd laid on my lap, so gently & trusting. He was sent to their hospital for intensive care. I don't think I'd ever felt as corroded inside as those days where I'd wait to hear how he was faring. Stupid me, I didn't realize that I'd had a right to go see him, so instead I'd wait for daily reports from the vet & at first things were looking up, then by Wednesday night, his kidneys were shutting down & liver was failing. An x-ray had shown that he was completely bound up & as he was too ill, he couldn't be operated on. There was also a tumor on a kidney to boot. The vet wanted to see if somehow, perhaps by the Grace of God & new medicines would bring him around. I also remembered to tell the vet his nickname: Choobah & when he'd called it out, I heard Manny meow in the background. I prayed, fervently. Thursday was up & down. By Friday, I could no longer stand to be away from my noble kitten & went to the vet office. The vet came to talk to me & I could see even before he spoke, things were not good. I'd never had to put an animal down before & I knew I had to stop my best friend's suffering, but somehow I was composed. My husband & I spent a little over an hour with him. He was so sick. His once glowing pink nose & paw pads were drained white, but he was OH SO HAPPY to see me & hear me. I sang to him & begged him to forgive me for not letting him suffer through this any longer. (I am sobbing writing this, 2 years & 5 months later, but the wound still seems so fresh.) When it was time, they asked if I wanted them to do it alone & I was aghast at the mere mention of not being there when his beautiful soul was seperated from his once beautiful body! I held him for both shots & waited until he left with a breezy sigh at 6:37 p.m. on September 23. I wrapped him in his favorite pink baby blanket. I walked outside & fell apart & wailed. I couldn't move for a while. I was drained. We got him home & buried him, not able to comfort each other at all. That night, around 11:37 p.m., I was online & just devestated. His sister Dottie was snoozing on a chair a few feet away on my left, when all of a sudden she was dreaming, vivdly & was meowing happily, yet totally still zonked out. She was mewing & her feet were flapping, as if playing or running & I swear Manny's raucous purr emenated from down on the floor on my right. He'd come to say goodbye to us. I've still got to heal from this. It hurts terribly still. I loved him just as a parent loves a child & losing him at 8 years old was just awful, as he was never sick & was so dear to me & to all of his kitty family, blood relatives & the others. Poor Edgrrr had lost yet another friend. He'd bonded with Manny's dad, Chowder, but ol' Puss was ancient & had lived a rough life on the street before we were able to adopt him & bring him here to our home to gift us & Ivee with these 4 wonderful kitties. He died while napping between Edgrrr & his son Leo from pulmonary failure. Edgrrr gave up on feline friends until I brought home 2 exotic kitties, WooWoo & his sister "The Mudge." Edgrrr still prefers to spend time with me though, as it must've been hard to lose both Chowder & then Manny. Manny was conceived on a warm day in late May. He joined this world on July 27, 1997 at 11:37 p.m. & gave life all he could & was released from his body at 6:37 p.m. on September 23, 2005. To all of those who know the pain of losing a puss so dear, I commiserate & can truly say that I understand. To those with sick kitties: your vet will almost always care for your pet in an emergency & make an arrangement for payments. NEVER rely on what a staffer says! If your pet must be hospitalized for more than a day, be sure the vet & techs know the pet's nicknames & to make arrangements to visit them to help rally their spirit & will to live. And lastly, if your baby is suffering & not able to fight what is ailing them, euthanasia sounds so ugly, but is the BEST thing you can do for them, as suffering is not fair to those who we can spare it from, especially animals who can't find solace in humanly things. My Manny was a gift & I was able to help into this world & to help let him go when he had to leave. I'll always love him & miss him, but I am sure he knows that I tried awful hard to keep him comfortable & happy, to make sure his life was full of love & care. Sleep well noble kitten & please be there when it is my time. You silly ol' Choob!

Forums Motto:
Everyone's Best Friend

I've Been On Catster Since:
March 12th 2008 More than 8 years!

Rosette, Star and Special Gift History

Catster Id:

Meet my family
Ivee/Mama RIP
Prissy (In
Loving Memory)
Doolittle 27
(call me Z)
Groucho (Call
me Chooch)

Meet my Feline Friends
See all my Feline Friends
See all my Feline Friends