American Shorthair/Siamese
Picture of Devon, a male American Shorthair/Siamese

Photo Comments (2)

Home:Durham, NC  [I have a diary!]  
Sex: Male   Weight: 10 lbs.

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

Photo Comments

   Leave a treat for Devon

The King, Black Streak, Bat hands

Kitty Complexion:
sleepyvery active
not curiousvery curious
not vocalvery vocal

Quick Bio:
-mixed breed-cat rescue

September 14th 2001


Being treated like Royalty

Bring treated like a common cat ;

Favorite Toy:
Devon is above playing

Favorite Nap Spot:
Anywhere he chooses, but usually in his blue bed on the counter

Favorite Food:
Butter! He thinks he should lick the container every morning. Otherwise he's not a picky eater.

He loves to walk on a leash and harness around the neighborhood


Arrival Story:
Devon came to live with me at about 4 weeks of age. He had been found in the woods, and brought to his god-mother. She cared for him for the first several weeks. She spoiled him rotten and then my home was finally ready for him to join.

He was a great little kitten, who seemed to be in love with his vet! Every week he did something so that he could go in to see her. He caught a cold, had bad diarrhea, regular vaccines, pretended to break his leg (only sprained), cryptorchid...that surgery 'broke' him from the weekly visits. He is now fine with twice a year! He doesn't think he is a cat, but feels he rules over them. He doesn't really play much, but every now and then he'll have a wild streak where he darts around the house with his tail puffed out...that is great fun! He loves to wear bandana's and scarfs and make-up. He waits most every morning for a touch of eye shadow, and some hair gel...he looks so proud when he has spikes. He enjoys being toted up and down the stairs, and especially loves it if you make a big deal about him being in a parade! Or better yet, leading the parade. He loves that his brothers are usually watching him get toted around. He's a ham :) I think if he could get the royal wave down (elbow, elbow, wrist, wrist, wrist) he would do it! Devon lived a wonderful life and was crazy right up until the end. He didn't know he had a disease and neither did we, until the morning he passed. He woke us up with a terrible howl. We were off to the vet school emergency within 5 minutes. They met us at the door and proceeded to help Devon. He left us about an hour and a half later. It took until the next week to figure out that Devon had a very rare cancer called hemangiosarcoma. He had tumors on his liver and spleen that had ruptured and caused an acute internal bleed. I think he would have loved how dramatic it all was, but I miss my boy daily. I'll always remember my diva boy Devon.

The Groups I'm In:
Black Cats Crossing our Paths, Black, Multiple Cat households!!!, Royal CaninĀ® Felines

I've Been On Catster Since:
January 5th 2006 More than 11 years!

Rosette, Star and Special Gift History

Catster Id:

Meet my family

Meet my Feline Friends
See all my Feline Friends
See all my Feline Friends

The life of a King

Over the Rainbow Bridge

March 4th 2013 2:02 pm
[ Leave A Comment | 2 people already have ]

Devon passed away early on the morning of December 15h, 2012. It was a shock to us all, as he was acting completely normal. Well, as normal as he could being a diva and all :) On Friday the 14th, he was eating fine, we played with our new peacock feather and he was jumping around, and he snuggled on the couch while we watched tv...normal.

On Saturday he woke us up with a terrible howl. I thought someone was fighting, but then I found him laying on the floor, mouth open breathing, and drooling. My sister grabbed a carrier and we were out the door in just a few minutes. We drove to the vet school emergency clinic about 20 minutes away and they met us at the door. I wasn't sure what was going on with Devon, but I certainly didn't think it was life threatening, expensive maybe, but not life threatening.

The doctors worked on him and talked with us about his care, and she kept telling us that he was a really sick cat. It was hard to believe because he had been so, well normal, just a few hours prior. Devon died about an hour after we arrived at the clinic. I was in shock. It didn't seem right leaving with an empty carrier and knowing that he wasn't coming home again.

I did ask for a necropsy so we could figure out what had happened because even the vet wasn't entirely sure. She knew he had massive internal bleeding, but did not know the cause. About a week later we learned Devon had hemangiosarcoma, an extremely rare cancer in cats. He had tumors on his liver and spleen and some of them ruptured.

I feel relived in a few things and blessed with how this all happened. I am thankful that I was home when the tumors ruptured and we were able to get Devon to the vet quickly and give him some relief. I am thankful that I did not know that he was a ticking time bomb. I am thankful that he did not know that he had cancer, as there were no symptoms...every vet I've spoken with has assured me that these tumors would not have caused him any pain. I am thankful he was such a crazy cat and therefore I have so many memories of him.

I picked up his ashes about a week after his death, so he is back home now. I found a beautiful butter dish and that is his urn. The boy loved butter so this is perfect for him. Somehow I think he would be pleased with how rare his disease is and how he made such a dramatic exit from this world.

There will never be another Devon, but I am thankful to have known him and so proud to have been his mom. I'll miss you baby boy.


Website Information

June 22nd 2010 5:27 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

Hello all,

Mom has finally gotten around to posting another diary entry for me. It is to let you all know that my brothers and I have a blog. We update it about 5 times a week and think you will enjoy reading our stories there. Please come and check us out!



Happy Birthday to Me!!

October 2nd 2007 10:32 am
[ Leave A Comment ]

My birthday was a few weeks ago, and it was a good day for me. Mom got me a new bird feeder because I love to watch the birds outside. They are such fun, and always seem hungry. The other cats enjoy watching the birds too. I also got a few catnip toys, which are the best. Mom lets us have our favorite foods on our birthdays, so I got to lick the butter, and have a bit of grated cheese. I'm the only cat in the house that can still eat brothers are all intolerant. Cheese is not their friend!

Other than that we've had a pretty boring time lately. I'm glad the weather is cooling off, so we can open the windows some. We don't do it often because Smokey flairs up. He is doing better though, since he's getting those shots, but he still itches some. I went outside on my harness the other day, and I didn't like it. Mom kept encouraging me and saying how much I used to like it, but I was too nervous, so she brought me back in. Maybe we'll try the stoller out soon...I think I may feel safer there.

Hope everyone else is doing well...until next time...

See all diary entries for Devon