February 4th 2013 11:14 am
[ View A Comments (19) ]
Okay, so we were talking to Sleep and remembered Ledford's tragic death..kind of sort of. See Ledford was a kit of two litters we found and we kept him out of the whole lot. The others we successfully gave away. Long story short, Ledford was a FIV kitten. We did all we could for him and he had a great life, lounging around the house. One Sunday morning, Mom and Grandma stayed home from church to stay with him. He wasn't doing good at all. Now Mom was 14 at the time, so there was no emergency vets. Our vet would come in for emergencies though. Remember those days? Anyway, Ledford was laying under the dining room table, not moving and having labored breathing. Mom can still to this day, see him laying there. Eventually, Mom couldn't handle the situation anymore, so she went for a long walk.
Hours later, Ledford died, right under that table. Never even got a chance to take him to Doc Sink. Years later, Grandma confessed that she had giving Ledford Tylenol to help ease the pain. She had no idea it could kill your baby. I thank she carried the guilt around like Mom does for Blackie and Joe's death. It's so easy to blame yourself. Either way, Mom is pretty sure Ledford would have died that day. Ledford in general was a very lazy cat so we just didn't see him getting that sick, it all of a sudden like. His body I guess just couldn't fight anymore and at that time meds for animals just wasn't up to par like they are now. Now FIV babies can live for longer periods of time as you all know.
Just the other day, Mom was looking up Sago Palms. She wants to buy some but is worried because they are very very poisonous. Even if they are away from the babies she worries about the neighborhood animals and kids. She also looked up fake Sago Palms and my gosh they are way to expensive! Anyway, mom came across some people who had lost their babies to Lilies and Palms. Mom said we so need to educate more about this kind of stuff.
Oh! and while posting these links, Mom seen that Rock Salt is poisonous. She didn't know that. They are always adding to these list and it's just good ole "good to know" kind of stuff in general!
Here's some Links-
htt p://www.cat-world.com.au/plants-a-other-chemicals-toxic (great poisonous and non poisonous plant section)
http://www.peteducation.com/category.cfm?c=1+141 1+1418 (Tells you how to clean up poisons and tells you how the vet or you can combat the poisoning of your baby)
Also never forget to call the poison center if you suspect poisoning.
It's important to know what plants are toxic. I'd say if its very toxic I would not risk keeping it inside. And if you want it outside, I suppose it would depend how many cats are around, although they have so much grass and stuff outside that they can enjoy, chances that they will go to that one are low. There are a lot of toxic plants that people have outdoors.
We agree it is very important to check lists of plants and other toxic substances handy.
Tony Simon, Gris's first human mommie, the one that still has his Mom and Sisfur Ellie. She has a Salmon Oleander in a pot on the back deck. Amber, the Mom, loves laying in that pot. Mariette says she doesn't mess with it at all, it's like she knows not to. But Mom still worries the plant juices will get on Amber and eventually poison her via bathing.
I know we have had these kind of discussions before about our indoor cats will eat on everything you bring in but outside cats are smarter. Maybe it is the abundance of grass. Mom counted and she has 11 poisonous plants in yard, 9 of which is her precious Dianthus collection.
Not including, Mom's roses are far from organic. So when she brings them in they are put up high were we can't get to them. (She does make sure she sprays pesticides that will not harm our bees. Bees are very important to this world, we don't need to be disorienting them with pesticides. But that's a completely different passion of Moms.)
Yes, grandma here loves plants as well (mom does too). We try keep them high up or in a seperate room that they are not allowed in. Some cats are good about not touching plants and if this is the case I think they are safe (although mom is a paranoid person she does not like to chance it) although we do like chewing at plants so it is reasonable mom is worried. I think laying in plants (without licking or chewing at the plants) would be fine.
We can't be trusted either around plants. Gris and Zach chews on the fake plants and I have a tendency to try to eat Mom's broom, you know the real straw ones. Yummy!
I'm sure you guys see poisons all the time at the clinic. As my Doc told Mom one time...there's no true antidote.
Yes, but if you catch most toxins on time they can at least be treated with IV fluids and depending on the toxin they can be given medications to help too. The most we see are lily toxins, others are often not caught as to what the toxin was, but it can very well be plants. Unfortunately most toxins are caught very late after they have been showing symptoms for a while
Hehe, yum. I think most cats are fascinated with plants and chew on them once in a while. Plus lots smell interesting!
I do know in some cases they can give the animals activated charcoal.
Mom added a small dose of oil into some milk one day when she thought Zach had licked up some Comet water. Long story but she didn't know he was even in the kitchen at the time. Anyway, Mom had read to feed and give the cat some oil to prevent the toxin from being completely absorbed. And lets not forget about Diamond eating a whole batch of brownies years ago. We gave her Hydrogen Peroxide and water to make her poop. But she wouldn't poop! So Mom kept giving it to her a little bit more at a time.
Here's another helpful hint...for everyone. Mom printed out a list of foods not to be giving or sneaked of a plate by us, ever. The list is on the side of the refrigerator. It was just the other day a friend asked if Diamond can have a grape! Mom said NO!
The list helps. Especially if you have non pet owning friends over all the time.
Blade, anything that smells like outside is definitely appealing to me!
Yes activated charcoal binds to toxins so that they do not get absorbed into the body, although it only works if the toxin is still in the digestive system. I've never heard of oil doing something similar, but its possible. I know hydrogen peroxide is used to induce vomiting, never heard of it to make them poop?! I believe it is toxic to an extent as well. Some vets don't like recommending it just in case. If people do it and it doesn't work then it would get absorbed into the body. I've never heard if it used the in that way.
Maybe we weren't trying to get her to poop. Maybe, it was to get her to throw up. That was like 4 or 5 years ago. And yeah, it makes sense that some find Hydrogen Peroxide a toxin in itself, after all it does make them throw up. All I know is the emergency vet told me to try it, over the phone.
The olive oil is supposed to coat the intestines and stomach. Who knows I read it online while panicking.
Hehe, no worries. Sounds like it all turned out ok. :)
Thanks for the info!
I have to say something about oleander. The Mama grew up down in south TX where there were many oleanders around. She was told by her MD father that it was extremely poisonous and could be absorbed through the skin; it wasn't necessary to actually eat it. If a cat lay on the plant and broke a leaf so that the sap ran and got on any part of the cat, this would not be a good thing.
Very good of you to share those links. Mom thinks she should bookmark them on the computer if she ever needed them in a hurry. Mrs M has plants in her room, because she doesn't climb and bother them. When we go out on harnesses, we usually only eat grass. Percy did try to eat the fake plants when he was a kitten!
Hmmm, I was thinking of toxic plants in general. I am not familiar with oleander. I assume when it is said that the kitty was laying in the pot it meant was laying in the dirt. If laying on the actual plant then there is a possibility of breakng the leaves and some could get on the cat. Some plants are different in regards to the amount of sap they have.. I would not think it would be enough to be deadly toxic. If he is bending all the branches while in the plant OR the bush has been trimmed, I'd say to be careful. Again I don't think we have that plant up here so were not an expert on it.
Okay, so Amber sleeps curled up around the oleander, kind of like in a C. I don't know Mom has voiced her opinion to the deaf ears of her friend. She just hopes Amber proves our worries wasteful.
Simon, Tony, you guys most definitely don't have Oleanders, they are hot weather plants. A matter of fact, here in NC you give them shelter during the winter. If curious about the plant, what it looks like and or it's toxicity - wiki has come to the rescue....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nerium
Sky, just never know and there is way more on these links then just plants.
Hmmm, good stuff Zoe~! Mommy jus' does da best her can 'n don't haz plants o' any sort ina house~! Her don't trust any o' 'em but dat don't mean her don't love 'em! Her used to haz lotza plants ina house, ivy's 'n differencia's, kalonchoe's but not anymore~ It's jus' too hard to know dat we would EAT 'em 'n mommy jus' can't take dat chance! But we still like to go outside 'n eat grass! Yeah it's yummy~ Rhett got yummy cat grass fur Chrissymas 'n I got to eat some o' it! MOL~!! Hey Mommy, time fur Catnip grass isn't it??? Giggles!!
Great post, Zoey Snowflake! We all need to be reminded how us kitties eat things sometimes we shouldn't, so people need to just not use them, have them, buy them.
We don't get plants at our house (we try to eat them), just cat grass sometimes. Thank you for sharing this important information - always a good reminder!