Zelda

Zelda recently had a tumor removed from the base of her tail. She has an ecollar on, but she can still reach her tail!

Zelda recently had a tumor removed from the base of her tail. She has an ecollar on, but she can still reach her tail! I prevent her from licking when I'm home, but I have no way to stop her when I'm at work. I tried bandaging her tail, but the gauze/tape won't stay. It comes off as soon as she flicks her tail. The healing incision doesn't look infected, but it's opened up. I'm wondering if it'll still heal ok even if she can reach it. Also, should I leave the ecollar on even if she can lick with it on?

Asked by Zelda on Jan 17th 2013 Tagged ecollar, wound in Health & Wellness

Answers

E-collars are annoying to everyone, but they do serve a purpose. It sounds like the one Zelda has on is too small. I've seen some in the pet stores that look like those U-shaped neck pillows. Measure Zelda's collar fron base to top and either ask your vet for a larger one or purchase one at the pet store. It's not good for her to be using her rough tongue to lick and chew at the incision and I'm fearful that eventually it will become infected.