You are told to evacuate your home. Would you take your animals with you even if you weren't allowed?

Today, a neighborhood in our community has been evacuated due to a natural gas leak. The residents were told to gather at the community center. It got me to thinking. What would I do with my animals if we had to evacuate our home? Many relief centers don't allow you to bring your animals. Would I just abandon them to fire, flood or possible explosion? Or, would I pack up my car with pet food and my pets (2 dogs, 3 cats) and stay in my car until I could return home, IF I could return home? What would you do? Have you faced a situation like this? What DID you do with your animals?

Asked by Izadore (Izzie) on Mar 28th 2012 in News & Events

Answers

Joey

They go with me - that's all there is to it. We recently had to leave our home when the majority of the State of Connecticut was without power for more than a week - they went with me. I head to a family member or even a hotel (and you would be surprised how many hotels have become pet friendly). If I had to leave the house in the middle of the night because the house is on fire - I would leave the door open behind me - let's face it trying to round up scared kitties in the middle of the night in a smoke filled house puts everyone in danger. You should have a plan, and you are smart to ask other's what they do. Ultimately you need to do what is best for you and your family.

Joey answered on 3/28/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Fuzzy

My cat would most definitely go with me. My boyfriend has pet-friendly parents that live just a couple blocks away. And in the event that he couldn't go there with us (most likely because of a town-wide evacuation, which would also prevent us from work since we both work in town) we could stay with my own parents. There are always options, it's just making sure you know them. The problem with hotels, is that many of the pet-friendly ones charge extra for dogs.

Fuzzy answered on 3/28/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Suntabby

Awww...what a sad thought, but it's a great point. I guess this is a good wake up call for all of us to make sure we have cat carriers, dog leashes, emergency bottle of water, etc., in a place we could find them quickly and take our pets with us, even though we wouldn't be allowed in a relief center.

So far the only thing I've had to do like this was years ago when our cat woke us to let us know there was smoke in the house! She detected smoke even before it got to be enough to set off a smoke detector. We put her in her carrier and our newborn baby in his car seat and went out and sat in the car at the street while the fire department came and took care of things. Turns out the furnace fan had burned up. Hopefully we'll always be HOME if our pets need to be evacuated so we can get them!

Suntabby answered on 3/28/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Well, you know me so I think you know my answer already. I would never leave without my animals no matter what happens. When we lost power for a week in CT (as Joey mentioned) I stayed here and froze my butt off with them in the dark. I refused to go to a hotel. If I had to go, I'd pack them up and live in the car until I could return. I have also told my family that if I burned up in a fire trying to save my babies, please tell the world that I wouldn't have wanted to live knowing that I didn't try to save them. These are my kids.

It's a no-brainer. My pawed family members go with me. In California we are always advised to have an earthquake emergency kit ready, I have additional ones for the animals as well complete with food, leashes, blankets and first aid items.

I would sleep wherever necessary huddled together with other animal lovers and their pawed companions. Because we are aware that many shelters do not allow for animals, there are groups that have started (before it's necessary) to get media attention on this. Our goal is to bring attention to the need and work with the common shelters and [human] rescue groups to show them the importance of having our complete family together.

Evacuation of my family and temporary shelter - means my entire family.

West

Cat would come. Undoubtedly. If I showed up to a shelter that insisted they weren't allowed, they would have to look me (and my tiny, adorable kitten) right in our eyes and tell us to get out.

West answered on 2/14/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer