Boo Boo

would my cat boo boo qualify as a maine coon? ive been trying to figure out what he is and he fits the maine coon thanx

Asked by Boo Boo on Feb 14th 2010 Tagged mainecoonbreed in Maine Coon

Answers

Leila, Chibi and Harvey are our Maine Coon experts as their mom breeds them, but I can almost say for sure that while Boo Boo is a very handsome cat, he's probably not Maine Coon. They told me my Delilah was MC also and since I've come to know our friends Allie and her sisters (also on Catster), I've realized she's probably a Persian mix. Actually, if you didn't get papers with Boo Boo saying he's a pure breed, he probably sits on a BIG family tree with a lot of branches and limbs.

Elise

Technically, he's a domestic medium/long hair. His first picture makes him look like a generic moggy, but his profile shot (set of the ears, jawline) suggests that somewhere down the line he may have had a Maine Coon ancestor--which is not uncommon for American cats. But no, I wouldn't call him a Maine Coon. If you want to see a good example of what a Maine Coon (purebred) looks like, take a look at Elise's page. Maine Coons don't necessarily have to have long fur, but ideally it is shaggy along the stomach, and they must have fluffy tails. The eyes are oblique and widely spaced. The ears are rather tall and erect and slant forward a bit. The muzzle should be prominent. Not all MCs are big (Harvey is only 13 pounds), but they should have a sturdy build and their legs are not as long as Boo Boo's. The feet should be large and tufted. The profile should have a dip in it, and not be a straight slope. Of all my MCs, Elise is the one who fits the breed standard best.

Elise answered on 2/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer