Cow and Bahji

worried about surgery

Cow and Bahji are going to get spayed tomorrow. They're about 9 months old now, we would have done it sooner but finances prevented it and our vet has lower costs on spay in December. I'm just worried about my babies going into surgery even though I know it's a VERY routine surgery. I know that there's still risks with the anistesia and risks of bleeding out or infections and them being a couple months past the prime spay time. Is there any real reason to worry or is the general consensus that they will be fine? Thoughts and purrayrs appreicated for my lil ones as well please.

Asked by Cow and Bahji on Dec 15th 2008 in Spaying & Neutering

Best Answer

You know that you and the girls will be close in our hearts and thoughts until we hear from you that they are OK--which they WILL be. You won't even have a chance to stress out and the surgery will be over. Make sure you get ALL your questions answered by your vet. Take a paper and pen along to write down their answers and don't hesitate to call if you think of anything else once you get home. Be prepared that they will be a little "off" for a day or two and watch their incisions for redness or licking if they don't have those white collars. They may even vomit or not want to eat from the anesthesia. If you have any questions or concerns, don't hesitate to call your vet! Purrs and prayers!

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Dec 15th.

Answers

It's never easy for a worried mom. I had Allie and Bailey done together and if I didn't have a friend meet me for coffee, I would have just sat in the parking lot waiting for it to be time to take them home. I have had 4 done in the last 2 years with no problems. Kira went in last month and I was a still a mess even though the other 3 went fine. But she also had a poylp in her nose removed so it was a little more complicated. They called me within and hour and a half to say she was waking up and doing fine. (they knew I was freaking out so they made sure to call right away) When it's Blaze's turn in April, I will be just as nervous though. There is no reason to expect problems for your babies. Nine months is still a kitten. My vet does a blood test and a full exam to make sure they are ok for surgery first. I'm not sure if all vets do that. But just think positive thoughts and it will all be fine!

Your babies are going to be just fine. You're just having normal mommy fears, which means you love them very much.

When Oscar J. was neutered, I called about him all day (I was at work). I think the vet was relieved when my Hubby came and got him. LOL

Prayers and good wishes coming your way.