will my female cat still spray after being spayed

she's not fixed right now becuase sh'e an inside cat but she sprays so i was wondering if i got her fixed if she would still spray

Asked by Member 803499 on Feb 12th 2009 in Behavior & Training

Answers

I have actually never seen a female cat spray. I have five females now and I have always had females. But spraying is generaly a territorial marking thing so spaying her may help. But spaying is so much healthier for so many reasons. Having her going in to heat can't be pleasant for you or for her to have to go through that several times a year. And there are many forms of cancer that are prevented by spaying. And there is also the risk that she will get out while in heat and get pregnant. When they are in heat and they have the urge to mate, they will usually do whatever they can to find a way to get out . All around she will live a longer, happier and healthier life if she is spayed.

Sometimes they will still spray, but after her spay the odor will be much less intense because the hormones will be decreased.

Like Allie said, there are TONS of reasons to get your baby spayed, spraying is just the tip of the iceberg. She'll lead a much happier, healthier life if you make this very important decision.

This is a great webpage with wonderful hints about getting your female to stop spraying. Of course, spaying is good for so many other reasons besides stopping spraying, so please don't hesitate to have it done!

www.usask.ca

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25)

Yes, definitely get her spayed. Female cats often spray when they are in heat to mark and attract a mate. Spaying should help reduce or eliminate the spraying. Be sure to use a good enzymatic cleaner (like Nature's Miracle) where she's marked though. If she can still smell it, she may be inclined to mark again. Having her spayed will also have many health benefits for her and make her a calmer, happier pet. Not to mention all it would take is for her to sneak outside just once (un-spayed) and she would be almost guaranteed to come back pregnant.

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25) answered on 2/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Unless you have some very good reason for not spaying your cat (I have two unspayed females who are the core of my budding cattery), then spay her! There are cheap spay options out there, if money is a problem. My unspayed females don't spray, but it's not unusual behavior, I hear. They say that males who spray do not always stop this behavior after being neutered, but I'm not sure about females. However, putting the spraying issue aside, I would certainly advise spaying her. As to spaying lowering the risks of cancer...I don't have any medical data on that, but obviously your cat can't get uterine or ovarian cancer when said organs have been removed. Also, endless heat cycles without pregnancy don't make Kitty either happy or healthy. I agree with everyone else: spay her.

Gidget

I got my cat spayed when she was about 6 months. She still sprays, however, its more like the the act of spraying than actual spraying. There is no scent that I can pick up on and I can't actually see any mist or anything. Its kind of weird, but she usually does it when we are playing.

Gidget answered on 2/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer