Will my cryptorchid neutered male cat best less aggressive after second neuter attempt?

I recently adopted a 1 y/o male cat from a local no-kill shelter. Upon adoption, I was told that he was fully neutered.

However, after bringing him home, I noted some behaviors (spraying, aggression) that seemed beyond the normal adjustment period. After consulting the shelter, they shared that he was a cryptorchid neuter and that I should bring him in so that they could check him out. After a blood test, they have determined that his testosterone levels are high and they would like to do an expoloratory surgery to address an remaining tissue.

Here is where my question comes in. I have an existing 7 y/o female calico that I'm trying to introduce to the new cat. So far, we've been very cautious about the intros. When we do let him out, he chases her around and becomes aggressive and agitated. No attacks yet - just intimidation.

I'm wondering if this second attempt at a neuter will potentially calm him down enough so that the introduction process will be easier? Advice appreciated.

Asked by Member 1066255 on Oct 25th 2011 in Bringing Your Pet Home

Answers

Toby

First, here's some pretty layman's term information on cryptorchidism in cats:
catvet.homestead.com
It's important to be well acquainted with what your kitty is going through so that you can understand the results and consequences for your cat.

Generally, because there is no treatment for cryptorchism, the surgeries are explorative in nature.

It is my understanding that once the "missing testicle" is removed, your cat should begin behaving like a normal, neutered male.

Whether this will make he and your calico get along is unknown but it should help his temperament.

If the two continue not to get along, you can always try something like FeliWay plugins which will emit calming pheromones that help your cats "chillax" a bit. There are also collars which will emit these pheromones if you think the problem is specifc to one and not all of your feline friends.

I hope this helps! Good luck to you and your kitties!

Toby answered on 10/25/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer