Will my cat remember me after a six month absence? I'll be hiking the AT next year and am concerned that he'll forget me

Oliver is a six year old male cat. I've been living with him at my parents' house for about a year now, I had him with me in college before that. I'll be going on a six month hike starting next April. He'll be very well cared for by my parents, and there are several other cats in the house who he socializes with, but I'm afraid he'll forget me or that our relationship won't be the same when I return. I'm sure I'll look and probably smell a bit different when I get back- I literally won't be the same person I was when I left.

Asked by Member 876845 on Sep 14th 2009 Tagged vacation, remember, forget, timeaway in Other Travel & Recreation

Answers

Spike

Your relationship may be rocky at first, but I suspect he'll remember you. When I've had friends take care of my cats when I was gone, they always remembered them the second time around. Also, I lived with a Significant Other for almost five years, and even after he moved out, the cats remembered his odor. He would come over sometimes just to visit, and they would come to greet him. When we met for a Platonic date somewhere, they would smell his odor on me, and spend hours at the door waiting for him to come "home." It might take a while, and all cats are different, but I would bet that your cat will remember you and your pre-hike relationship.

Spike answered on 9/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would think that he would...especially if u have a good relationship with him. It might be a little bumpy at first however.