Will my cat get sick from human baby formula?

Izzie LOVES my grandson's formula (Enfamil) and will lap up any spills or any left over in the food dish (before I wash/sanitize it). Can it hurt him? I've heard two different schools of thought, one that vets say it's OK for kittens and another that says it will give them parasites, diarrhea and all sort of nasty stuff. But on those days I don't have any Catsip, I was wondering if a few tablespoonsfull would hurt my cats?

Asked by Izadore (Izzie) on May 20th 2008 Tagged babyformulaforcats in Other Food & Nutrition

Best Answer

Tipper

How on earth could it give him parasites? espeically if it's fresh and hasn't been sitting around at all? if it doesn't give baby people parasites then why kittens? I'm not sure on the diahrea part, I know cows milk can do that though. I'm guessing that the since the little bits he's had so har have not given him any ill effects that a tiny amount here and there wouldn't harm him. ThoughI wouldn't give him a big bowlful, but it doesn't sound like you'd be doing that anyhow, just a lil as a treat/snack right? he may grow out of it when he gets older too and not want it anymore.

Tipper answered on May 20th.

Answers

Charlie

A few tablespoons should be completely fine. At most it may be a little rich for kittens, so might fatten them if bottle fed.
Most formula are lactose/glucose/dairy free, so wont have issues of dairy, and the only other thing is the nutritional additives I would assume, be higher than a cat milk, again no issue for spills, something to check if bottle feeding.

Parasites are unlikely - you only tend to get them from natural (i.e untreated cows milk) or taited sources. Powder/pre mix formula is processed completely, so would kill any nasties.

Diarrhea, if anything, in this case would be caused by diet change, so if your cat drank the whole bottle, he 'may' be a bit squidgy, but no harm, and a spill would do nothing.

Charlie answered on 5/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sophia Marie

I'd love to clear up some misconceptoins, if i can.

1) Cows milk doesn't give cats diareah. PASTURIZED and HOMOGINZED cows milk does. it's why cats on farms can have the milk, but not our home cats.

2) Formulas like enfamil are generally high in soy, or other non "milk" products, so you might check the ingrediants. soy isn't great for cats, but if it's not a soy based one, it should be ok.

3) parasites? that's just sillyness. grins.
A parasite has to be present in the food, for an animal to "get parasites" from it. it's not an elergic reaction or anything.

cats are far stronger than humans to repel parasites. and as the last kitty just said, "humans don't get parasites from it".

my final thought (and this goes against all the modern "protect your cat" conventional wisdom) is that if he loves it, and you've not seen any sign of any problems, "a little can't hurt", just don't over do it.

Sophia Marie answered on 5/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I wouldn't think so. Oscar J. gets a tablespoon of regular milk every morning and he does just fine. I just wouldn't overdo.