Will Mother Cat's milk dry up after kittens are gone, or does she need to see a vet?

When my mother cat began pushing away the kittens, I started them on kitten food. When it looked like she had stopped nursing completely, the kittens were 6-7 weeks old, I found homes for all of the kittens within a couple of days. After about 4 days her milk came back in and she is miserable. She lays on the cold bathroom tile. Will her milk dry up on it's own?

Asked by Member 820369 on May 8th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

If your kitty's milk hasn't completly dried up, all the kittens are gone and there aren't any other kittens around that she could hear and start producing milk again, then she may have a condition called "mastitis" which, basically, are infected milk glands. This can be a very dangerous infection and can cause the cat to die if left untreated. If she likes lying on the cool floor, then for sure her nipples are hot, itchy and sore. She really needs to go to her doctor for medication to completely dry up her milk and cure the infection. There are no home remedies for this.

I agree with Izzie that you should take her to the vet for a check up. Its difficult to tell between a cat that just has teats full of milk and mastitis if you haven't seen it before but the vet will be able to confirm what it is and get her meds if she needs it.

More Questions in This Category