Will mixing 300 mg capsule of clindamycin antibiotic into vitamin oil to give 2x 25mg doses/ day work?Antibiotic stable?

I'm trying to break down the 300mg capsule into 25 mg doses by putting the contents in the oil and giving the corresponding doseage of oil accordingly. Is it good to use vitamin oil, will it keep the antibiotic stable and effective? Should I store the mixture in the fridge?

Asked by Member 987163 on May 14th 2010 in Medications

Answers

I've never heard of putting an antibiotic powder into oil for a dosage. I wonder how you could be sure you had the exact 25mg. dosage and not too much or too little. In any case, these are questions you need to ask your vet or vet tech who are trained in veterinary pharmacology. They can tell you if you will negate the dosage of the antiobiotic by mixing it with oil. They can also help you administer the antibiotic if your cat is balking like most do, at taking a pill.

♥ Suey ♥

I would be taking the medication to a compounding chemist recommended by the vet, rather than trying to do it yourself. That could lead to some pretty serious side effects.

♥ Suey ♥ answered on 5/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer