Why's my Cat so skinny?

I have a 4 year old female cat who is verry skinny... She is verry actice , happy and doesn't seem to be sick, but I can't get her to gain any weight.....We have 2 other cats but there is always food out and she does eat.. We've given her worm pills, so she shouldn't have worms, she does get hair balls thou... What should we do? Does she need to go into the vets?

Asked by Member 766189 on Nov 11th 2008 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Lily Rose- 2007-2010

I have a tiny kitty also, even though the vet told me she weighs 7 pounds. You'd never know it to look at her, especially since her brother is a chunk at 15. She's just a small cat. You say she "shouldn't" have worms, but you might want to have her stool tested, especially if she's had fleas recently. If she eats well, plays, is affectionate and doesn't seem lethargic, eyes aren't dull, fur is shiny and in good shape, then chances are she's like Lily, just a small-ish kitty. But if she doesn't eat, tires easily, hides, etc. then definitely take her to the doc's. PS-lots of kitties get hairballs. That doesn't mean they're sick. But if she's vomiting more than twice a day and all her food is coming up, then definitely take her to the vet. It's always a good idea to check with your vet if you have any questions at all about your animals. That's what they're there for!

Lily Rose- 2007-2010 answered on 11/11/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

She's probably just natually skinny and sounds lhealthy but it's a good idea to take her to your vet for a quick physical exam and worming just to make sure and put your mind at rest