Baxter

Why would your cat be vomiting foam?

We have just moved and my cat came with us on the move. It was a four day drive with them in the car for about 6 hours a day. When we got to our new home, one of our cats has been throwing up white foam.Not a lot but enough to have us concerned. He has also not been eating or drinking very much. He has taken to sleeping under the bed when we are not there or on the bed when we are in the room. Baxter is usually somewhat recluse but this seems like weird behavior even for him. This morning he was making sounds like coughing and then threw up the white foam. Sometimes he makes these little sounds too. What would make a cat throw up white foam? We have read many things online saying lots of different things.Oh and before we left for the move we did have him get his rabies shot so we aren't worried about rabies. Can anyone help?

Asked by Baxter on Aug 22nd 2009 in Illness & Disease

Answers

They vomit foam when there is nothing else left in their stomach to vomit. So I would be concerned with him becoming dehydrated as well as worrying about what is causing it. Cats rarely become car sick because of the construction of their inner ears for balance but 4 days for 6 hours a day may have made him sick from the stress or he may have picked up a kitty flu along the way. Please keep an eye on him to be sure he drinks water. Show him fresh water and even add ice cubes to entice him to drink. Find yourself a new vet right away and if this continues take him in as soon as possible before her gets so dehydrated that he may need sub-q fluids. Try feeding him some human baby food in plain chicken or beef flavor. (no garlic or onion on the label) It will be easy on the stomach and will get some food and moisture into him.

Mr.Cat

Well, let's hope it is stress: Here is a bland diet recipe you can make for the next day or two...

BLAND DIET FOR FELINES

1 cup chicken, boiled or micro-waved
1/4 cup fresh broccoli, steamed and mashed
1/4 cup cooked carrots, mashed
steamed chicken broth

Mix ingredients with enough chicken broth to hold together. This same
recipe can be used with fish (broil or microwave until it flakes.) You
can also vary the recipe by adding rice or other vegetables. Yield: 1

If they are not drinking or eating this recipe - call the vet...Good luck

Cat food Questions here:
www.allexperts.com

Mr.Cat answered on 8/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Get your cat to a vet without delay. I only hope that your cat isn't experiencing what mine just did. Mine had a large tumor that blocked his esophagus and he couldn't take in any food. It was also threatening his airway. Sadly to say, I had to put him down, and he was only eight years old. This happened this month, 9/11/09 so the feelings are fresh, I love him so much. Please, this may have been going on for some time and then the stress of the trip could have been the catalyst for what you're experiencing now.
Weight loss and dehydration will soon show. Good luck to you and I'd like to know the outcome of your case. I forgot to mention that my cat was 'vomiting' just as you describe but it didn't sound like a normal vomit but since his stomach was empty, foamy, mucousy liquid was all he could bring up.