Why won't my kitten eat or drink anything?

I just picked up an 8 week old kitten from a nice family. He is acting normal, but cries a lot. He also has not eaten. Just tonight he started throwing up, and it's too late to take him to the vet, but I called an emergency vet out of town and they said it's normal for a kitten being brought into a new home, to do this....is this right? I don't know what else to do for now. What do you think it could be?

Asked by Member 544281 on Dec 11th 2007 Tagged kittens, catfood, eating, pooping in Health & Safety

Answers

Boris

Not eating? Yeah, he might be shy, but you want to make sure he does eat w/in 24 hours, or that he at least drinks water. Crying? Yeah, you would be too if you were a baby and separated from your own mommy. Vomiting? No, that's not typical. He should be seen first thing in the morning by your vet.

Meanwhile just keep saying comforting things to the kitten with a soothing voice, and pet him if he lets you.

One possibility for the not eating is that maybe he hadn't been weaned from his cat mom yet, and so he has no idea he's supposed to eat the food you are giving him? Try picking up kitten formula at a pet store tonight or tomorrow, but don't force it in yet. First have the vet give a thumbs up on his health. If he does take to the kitten formula, the next step is to give him wet kitten food that will be easier for him to eat than dry food. Then start introducing the dry by mixing it with wet food. As he is only a small kitten for now, feed him 3-4 times a day.

Good luck.

Boris answered on 12/11/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Moxie

When I adopted my 8-week old kitten she was with her mom and still being weaned. I gave her kitten formula from a bottle (buy at pet store) for 1-2 weeks while introducing her to solid food. I left small amounts of kibble out at all times and gave her wet/canned food 3 times/day.

If she's throwing up, it could be the stress - it's a big change going to a new home! We've seen this happen. Another likely cause is the new food - sudden changes in diet can cause stomach upset and/or diarrhea for cats of all ages. Less likely causes: food allergies, kitten ate something around the house he/she shouldn't have like a piece of string or plastic, etc. Don't make her eat right after she throws up because her stomach is already irritated. Watch her carefully over the next 12-24 hours and if she seems lethargic, throws up again, etc., take her to the vet immediately. Otherwise she's probably fine. Try some kitten formula or Catsip (milk made for cats - don't give regular milk for people).

Moxie answered on 12/12/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

milo

I would get in contact with the family you got him from and see if he was healthy when he was there,you can find out some important information such as has this kitten been dewormed and given his shots. which is something that needs to be done if you want a healthy happy kitty. when milo was about that age he got really sick was not eating and throwing up he lost alot of weight in a very short period of time took him to the vet he was given a dose of strongid paste and he was healthy in no time after that he ended up getting tape worms so he was treated again he is now fat and healthy. hope he gets feeling better soon purrs milo

milo answered on 12/14/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer