why is there no pork types of can cat food

There are beef, chicken, fish, liver but never any pork types of can cat food. Anyone know why this is?

Asked by Member 663404 on Jan 11th 2009 in Pet Food

Answers

I don't think there's any reason cats can't eat pork so I don't think its a medical reason.

Its probably just economics as some of the premium foods list pork as an ingredient. Chicken is probably the favorite ingredient because they use poor battery egg laying chickens which is cheap. I think most of the meat used in pet food is off-cuts from human food production. For pork they can put all that in sausages and Spam so there are probably less cheap meat sources. Pork is included in the "animal by products" type ingredients but they don't have to list the meat source for that so its just invisible.