why is my neutered male cat peeing on my clothes? I'm 7 months pregnant and need help to stop this bad behavior!!

He's 22months old, just recently started peeing on my clothes, first when they were in a basket, now if they are on the floor. He doesn't pee on anything else in the house, or my parents clothes, or even the dog's things. He has a very clean box, plenty of food and water, and just went to the vet to make sure he doesn't have a UTI. I'm 7months pregnant, and it's really starting to stress me that if he's peeing on my clothes that he will do it on the baby's things. The only change that he's had is our move to my parents house in October, but this started in December and continued, and gotten slightly worse. I need advice if this is truly just behavior issues. I need to know what to do. (and yes I've put my clothes away, but just last night i went to shower, forgot my clothes on the floor and he peed on them.) PLEASE HELP!

Asked by Member 1094468 on Feb 23rd 2012 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

It truly sounds like a behavioral issue. Sometimes it takes a while for stress issues to show up. You say there's a dog around. Does he get along with the dog? Delilah showed her displeasure at being chased by my dog by pooping in my bathtub. He may be more stressed out by the move than you realize, being busy with the pregnancy and all. Are your parents fans of his? Did you have a houseful of people for the Holidays? He's marking "his" territory, which is you, because you are his one familiar thing right now. I know he's probably neutered, but that doesn't put a definite end to stress-marking. Although I've had limited success with it, you may want to try "Feliway", a plug-in pheromone that may attract him to his litter box. You can also try putting out more boxes for him. Vets are also good animal behavior sources and your vet can help you work through this stress with him. Extra attention, cuddles and pets from everyone before the baby arrives may also help.