Why is my kitty going bald?!?!

Please help, my 9year old kitty is losing weight on his back near is behind. I never saw clumps or anything it just started thinning. He is well cared for a little under weight but has been very small and petite since he was a kitten. This happened a while back but when we moved it grew back but now it's not coming back! My mom is going to bring him to the vet ,of course, I just wanna know why this is happening( my mom thinks it's from mold).

Asked by Member 805915 on Feb 18th 2009 in Shedding

Best Answer

Petra

You're doing the right thing taking him to the vet and they'll be able to help figure out what it is but here are some possibilities.

Losing weight plus fur loss could be a sign of hyperthyroidism. Your vet will probably do a blood test to rule this out and also check his kidneys and blood sugar at the same time.

If the blood test is clear then the hair loss could be from overgrroming and/or allergies. Because of the location he could be allergic to fleas as this is a spot where fleas hang out on cats. When I was a kid we had a dog with flea allergies and a single flea bite would set him off. If he has a flea allergy you may need to use flea treatments more regularly and treat the carpets / his bedding to completely get rid of any fleas. Advantage or Frontline are good flea treatments for cats and De Flea is a good spray to kill any fleas/eggs in carpets etc.

Petra answered on Feb 18th.

Answers

Random

You should of course take your pet to the vet as this problem could be caused by several different problems. Over the years I've had 12 cats and worked at an hospital for a year. I had one cat that had allergies and licked the fur off her hindquarters due to irritation (Allergy shots helped.) They can literally lick all the fur off an area. Another cat licked all the fur off her sides because she felt her litter box wasn't being cleaned often enough (It was only being cleaned once a day but cleaning it twice a day fixed the problem.) My current cat used to lick all the fur off his stomach due to OCD (This and a biting problem were helped with Prozac.) There are other medical problems, e.g. hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, that can cause hair loss. Your veterinarian can help you decide the best course of action.
Good Luck and Best Wishes :)

Random answered on 2/18/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Charlie

1.) I agree with Petra that you should rule out hyperthyroidism, this sounds very characteristic. Your vet will do a simple blood test. It is a condition where their thyroid gland is overactive and causes hairloss/thinning hair, and they also tend to be underweight. It is easily treated with medication-but will be something you treat long term.
2.) Other possibilities could be: loosing hair due to ringworm, skin mites, flea bite dermatitis, or allergies.
3.) Cat can have an Obsessive Compulsive Dissorder where they overgroom themselves to the point they become bald. They will often do this on their rear end near the base of their tail. You could put an E-collar (cone hat) on him to prevent him from licking the area and see if it improves. But I would recommend having him seen by your vet since it sounds like hyperthyroidism.

Charlie answered on 2/20/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer