Why is my female spayed cat howling?

I have an 11 year old female cat who is spayed and about six months ago started randomly howling intermittenly at night. It doesn't happen all of the time so I can't tell what makes her do it, and she usually does it when she is in another room or in the back bedroom where she sleeps etc. She also periodically will pace in circles like she is anxious and urinates on the floor near the front and back doors. I do have a second cat that I adopted as a kitten a year ago (also female and spayed) and shortly thereafter my house rabbit passed away. The two cats don't always get along very well, but other than that no major changes in her life. I have taken her to the vet and everything checks out okay (including blood panel).

Asked by Member 755937 on Feb 13th 2009 in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

If you're certain that she checks out OK health-wise, then more than likely, it's a stressful situation that's making her howl, pee and pace. She could be reacting to the passing of your bunny because even if she wasn't fond of it, she's probably picking up on your grief. If she's urinating near your outside doors, I'd guess there's a stray kitty out there and she's marking "her" territory. My Delilah is spayed also, and last summer she nearly went through the screen trying to get at a stray cat in our yard. If your two kitties don't always get along well, then she's also upset over the little "interloper" in her life. There have been two major changes in her life, plus the possibility of the stray or strays in her yard. Usually, one major change is enough and she's had a few. Try playing with her, some gentle, relaxing brushing, and reassuring her when she howls and paces at night.

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Feb 13th.

There Are No Other Answers