Why is my female cat attacking the male cat she has lived with for 6 years??

I have 3 cats total; a female, a male and one of their daughters. They were living peacefully together for about 6 years, but in the last 2 months, the female (the mom) has been attacking the male. Luckily, the male doesn't fight back at all because he could do some serious damage. The male does not appear sick at all so I am confused as to what is going on. I thought separating them for some time would cool the female down but she just attacks the male everytime we bring her back around. I thought that the female had some issues because she is naturally a more aggressive cat, but she only attacks the male, not the other female. Could it be that she needs to be fixed? If so, how hard is it on older cats? She’s like 10 years old now. The other two have already been fixed. I really thought this fighting would pass by now but it just continues everyday. I am totally at my wits end and would appreciate any advice!

Asked by Member 817345 on Mar 19th 2009 Tagged cat, cats, attack, attacking, aggressive, fight, fighting, female, male in Aggression

Answers

Louie (1996-2013)

I am going to tell you what most catsters will agree is the first step to stopping aggression--fix your kitty! Unless you are a trained breeder and breeding the female, there's really no reason to leave kitty intact, in fact, it can cause health issues besides the aggression (mammary tumors especially).

Cats can be fixed at any age, just make sure you find a vet that is familiar with anesthesia and older kitties.

Take your cat into the vet to get checked out, and if she is found to be in good health, please get her fixed. A vet visit important to do ASAP because she may be sick and/or in pain and that's what's causing the aggression.

If fixing her doesn't solve the aggression issue, and she's determined to be in good physical health, go back to your vet and discuss alternatives.

Louie (1996-2013) answered on 3/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It could be she’s saying, "I’m not interested in you!" to passes he’s making subtly enough that you aren't reading, but she's reading loud & clear. Are his pupils large when he’s near her? Does he smell her trail or area, then grimace? Is he staring intently at her? If he is pursuant and she's not receptive, it could get worse.

At any rate, I think Louie is right. If you are not planning on breeding her, it would be better if she is fixed. That would also lower the odds of her getting cancer. It would lower her aggression, too. I don't think it is hard on middle age cats (she’s 56 in human years). One of my cats was spayed late in life & had no problems. If you aren't planning on breeding either, you probably should get them both fixed.

Good luck!

Louie is right. Hormones can make kitties do very strange things. Cats do not have a "menopause" as such and can breed most of their lives. Should your cat get pregnant, she will most likely have a small, unhealthy litter and the birth will cause her much physical stress. If she's been having kittens all her life, I hate to say this, but that's been contributing to the extreme overpopulation here in the USA of kittens and cats. Please have her spayed. The vet will take into consideration her age. She will be fine and you will see a definite change in her. The aggression will almost cease to exist and she will be much happier and healthier and be with you longer. I'm sure the male will also thank you if you have her spayed!

First, have her fixed, and then see what happens. I have two intact females here, but we're a cattery, and they will be spayed at about age five, which is the usual age for breeding queens to be fixed. I learned from the poster who wrote about finding a vet who will spay older cats. Ten is not so old in cat years--many live to be twenty. Have her spayed.