WHY IS MY CAT'S NOSE SOMETIMES PALE?

Sometimes it is very pink, other times almost white.

Asked by Member 704893 on Aug 14th 2008 Tagged nose, color in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Is your cat generally healthy? How old is your cat? What is your cat's coloration? My cats' noses turn pink when they are active or excited about something, even the ones with darkish fur. I think of it as a part of cat body language--when I see their noses turn pink, I know they've been playing or are intrigued by something.

Atrus

My kitten is a Ragdoll, so you can see in his pictures he has white fur on his face and pink nose (and paw pads). Usually his nose is a light/medium pink. If he has been in a deep sleep for a long-ish time - he sleeps very soundly and through most of the night a times - his nose and pads look a bit lighter. Blood flow and heart rate decrease when you're asleep, so this makes sense. If he is playing hard and running around, or something that really gets the blood pumping, his nose and pads turn a bright pink. If this is similar to what happens to your cat, I would say it's perfectly normal. But if he/she seems pale too often, it might be time for a vet visit.

Atrus answered on 8/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gracie

Gracie's nose, paw pads, and belly (when you can see through all that HAIR!) change from white to pink in unison. I dont know about the blood circulating and making them pink from excitement, though, because hers seem to be at their brightest when she first wakes up.

Gracie answered on 12/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I asked my vet. this same question and his answer was blood pressure. So when my kitty's nose is very pale, almost white he's in a real calm and loving mood to where his blood pressure is low. When he's excited and is like, "I don't want to play or be touched", his pressure is higher and nose is pink. It's not a question of blood pressure problems. Just the norm for kitty's.