Why is my cat so soft?

My cat's fur is like silk rather than the average fluff that cat's have, her diet isn't special she's just super silky, is this normal?

She's a shorthaired tortie by the way.

Asked by Member 969858 on Mar 2nd 2010 Tagged fur, coat in Grooming

Answers

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13

Some cats fur is naturally soft and silky. Some of it has to do with diet, but mostly genetics. I have one short haired cat that is super soft and silky with really fine hair. My other short haired cat is soft but not as soft.

Cleopatra 8/4/96-7/18/13 answered on 3/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Freckles (1993-2011)

Good food will tend to make a cats fur softer but I agree with the previous poster that genetics plays a big part too.

When I first got Freckles she'd been neglected for a couple of years and her fur was very dull and thin and dry feeling. Now she is is in much better health and back to a normal weight and her fur is much softer and shiny again. Look at the picture on her page showing her 1st day with me compared to her main pic and you can see the difference.

My cats all eat the same food and there is quite a difference in the texture, thickness and softness of their fur which must be due to genetics. There's quite a difference even between my mom cat & her adult kitten and betwen 2 sisters.

It sounds like your cat has lovely soft fur so just enjoy it.

Freckles (1993-2011) answered on 3/2/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Elise

As Freckles says--Enjoy!!! I have numerous Maine Coons, who are all related in some way. The breed standard for purebred Maine Coons is "silky yet shaggy." Even though all my MCs are related in some way (no inbreeding going on), I have cats with different fur qualities. With Maine Coons, the males (especially the intact ones) tend to be rather greasy. My females (also intact) have truly silky fur. My "best" cat (according to breed standards) is Elise. Her photos show how shaggy she is--but don't show how silky her coat is. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy...

Elise answered on 3/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer