Why is my cat so mean to me? I adopted him as a companion to my older cat.

I've been taking care of cats most of my life. I've really only ever had male cats, and I've delt with all kinds of weird male cat issues. Tyger is horrible to my old Jack. and Jack just hides from Tyger when I am not around.

Tyger is 1 and 1/2 years old now, and a terror.

He was never abused, never sick, and I would never hit him. I clap and spray him when he was doing something wrong, but I never hit him. Now, he acts so crazy!
He used to cuddle and snuggle with me and now he acts like I'm satan when he isn't sleepy that is.

He never cuddles, he runs whenever I walk around the house, if I pet him for longer then a few seconds he growls at me and claws.
I've tried everything short of drugging him or declawing him ( I would never do that!) I just don't know what to do! I've tried everything, they have separate everything, even separate rooms! I make sure they both get cuddle time, no one is locked up.

Vet told me he was just at "very angry cat"!! Huh?

Asked by Member 796554 on Jul 25th 2011 Tagged peopleaggressive, cataggressive, socialanxiety, mean in Aggression

Answers

Miss Uppity Tibbs

Hmmmm. Have you had Tyger checked out for all sorts of health issues? I had a formerly feral kitten once who hated to be touched, and it turned out he had ear mites that were making him miserable and hypersensitive. Once he got those cleared up, he was much mellower.

Feliway plug-in sprays seemed to help a bit when we got a new male cat who immediately wanted to chase the hell out of our grumpy female tabby, but we had to just accept that we had two cats who loathed each other and work around the hostility. It took a couple of years before they could tolerate each other and even stand to be in the same room, though. It sounds like you're on the right track and and an experienced cat person. Good luck!

Miss Uppity Tibbs answered on 8/6/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer