Kiki

Why is my cat so anti-social?

My cat is very loving toward people who live in my household (my parents, younger sister, me) but she hisses and swats at guests who come over, even ones that she's seen many times and knows very well. She is 5 years old. Any ideas on this behavior?

Asked by Kiki on Jul 25th 2013 Tagged fat, cat, mean, hissing, swatting in Socialization

Answers

Was she from a shelter? Formerly abused animals often act this way. She is nice to people she knows are not going to hurt her. Spray calming spray on her before you have guests over; it might help. Also, tell them not to approach her, let her approach them if she is going to. Otherwise, she might determine that it's an attack and act accordingly. Each time she behaves in front of a guest, give her a catnip Greenie treat. Food is a wonderful motivator. ^_^