Why is my cat sleeping on its poop?

my female cat.. not shure how old she is.. we rescued her fromt he shelter as an adult cat three years ago. past month she started pooing just on the ouside of her littler box and has started layingng in it! its very gross.. also she has been curling up by her food bowl as well.. i cant get either behavior to stop. what can i do?

Asked by Member 1189318 on Sep 10th 2013 Tagged poop, cat, strange, gross, help in Behavior & Training

Answers

This is common behavior for a shelter cat in a cramped cage, not a well-adjusted kitty. I would ask you when the last time you brought her in for a check-up was. If it's been close to a year, bring her now because she is insecure. Are there loud noises or children that she could be afraid of? Does she have long hair, because persians are notorious for pooping outside the litter box. Placing pee pads around the litter box will lead to easier clean-up for you, and you can give her a Smart Bite treat when she is displaying behaviors that you approve of. ^_^