Bo

Why is my cat pooping on the brand new carpet? Could it be territorial? I thought that was pee.

My cat's litterbox trained. But recently decided to use a vacant room (remodeling) to poop in. Still peeing in litterbox, but don't know why he's choosing to do this. Thought it might be territorial, as that's the room family/friends dogs stay in when here, but he started after new carpet was put in, and I thought territory marking was more pee. But only along a back wall in this room. Seems more behavioral but I have no idea what he's trying to do/tell me.

Asked by Bo on Apr 19th 2013 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

If you wrote this after Bo was injured, his inappropriate elimination may be because he's not well. He's stressed and in pain. Also, if he isn't neutered, he needs to be after he's on the road to recovery. That will not only cut down on his marking behavior (yes, animals do mark with feces as well as urine) but also his eagerness to bolt outside. Make sure his litter box is kept VERY clean. Some cats don't mind, others do and will use any convenient out of the way place (like behind a sofa or in a corner). He may also be one of those kitties who needs more than one litter box in different areas of the house.